Logo crit.

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Topher15, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

It would be good to get some constructive feedback on these WIP designs I've done. I'm going to select a few of them to develop further. Cheers. :)

Flutter. An on-gambling company identity. Visually I was thinking this could work with playing cards, such as placing the 'F' mark in the corner of the playing card.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Circular. I originally envisioned it as an opening animation (the sort you see at the opening of a film), whereby 8 rotating circles inside a larger rotating circle eventually slow down to reveal the name.
    [​IMG]

Speak. Communications company.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunshine. A travel company. This originally started out as just an S in a circle to create a hidden character.
    [​IMG]

Some others:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LeviG macrumors 65816

quick first impression review (apologies if they sound harsh, its just quick note style rather than harsh words :)) -
    • flutter - doesn't say flutter to me, says fold/flap, maybe try a 'wobble' rather than a fixed shape
    • circular - sky (atleast in uk) logo does this already
    • speak - common, generic, seems like its been done before
    • sunshine - one on right might work if worked on in colour - thinking reddy oranges maybe even a gradient (think sunset/sunris colours) left doesn't work too well to me
    • squarebox - the logo says cube to me and always will, its standard isometric profile which is used a fair bit in cad.
    • others - not really sure as the context isn't there.

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Sunshine - maybe without the "S" and a smaller sun, larger text.

I like the Squarebox...

4. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Circular and squarebox speak to me, but the others seem sort of rudimentary.

I feel the 'speak' idea could be honed into something creative, you should spend some time on that idea!

5. jdawg3 macrumors newbie

My two cents.

If you are set on the flutter logo, you'll have to darken up the lines so they don't disappear when it's shrunk down.

I believe a logo should try to say, as simple as possible what the company/event etc is trying to sell, without saying it. ie. you shouldn't have to tell us it's a gambling logo. We should know by looking at it.

It's not always the designer's fault that the company has a bad name (unless they named them).

6. Topher15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Topher15

7. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I appreciate that you created them (most of them at least) in B&W. :thumbsup smiley:

I'll single out a few of them:

Speak: The first two look common - the second may work, but as said needs a bit of tuning. Maybe try replacing the 'e' instead of 'a' and reversing the talk bubble so it resembles the 'e'.

Flutter: the wavy thing on the 'F' doesn't read when it's small, which negates any benefit of the the logo - the typeface itself is indistinct.

Sunshine: The first one looks class-project-ish, and the second doesn't look like a sun at all - it's bit too corporate.

Squarebox: I know I've seen that done in other places... the box logo I mean.

Level2: A bit too unimaginative.

The Others: I like where you're going with the VOID one.. the last VOID is actually pretty good, I think - almost Paul Rand-like, in a way.

Good effort, I must say though. Well done..

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sunshine is great idea but you might want to enclose it a bit more so the S will be more visible. Did not see the S until you mentioned it.

9. Topher15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Thanks.

Most of these first started out as a visual idea that I had, without any attachment to a specific company - obviously the wrong way round. For example, the b&w 'S' logo wasn't really intended to be a sun to begin with.

10. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Most of these are good exploratories, but the last void logo is absolutely smashing. As in, there's got to be a company with void in the name that would pay you thousands for it, and I wish I had thought of it. Great going with recognizing and silhouetting the shapes there, a spark of brilliance.

11. Krebstar macrumors regular

The kerning on "Flutter" needs to be looked at before anything else is done with it.