Logo critique

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by richskl, Jul 19, 2008.

1. richskl macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Please could you give your opinions on my logo ideas (created in adobe illustrator). The final product is going to be used in a science research lab that conducts research using mass spectrometry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_spectrometry) which is a bit tricky to incorporate into a logo. This is my first go at logo design ever!

thanks

rich

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. likeavaliant macrumors regular

The red swirly line pulls my eye away from the subject too much.
    The colors dont work well together and would be hard to mass reproduce.

Simplify it! :)

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you want to use a sine curve, then you should draw your sine curve from using a mathematical equation and not freehand or by using a Bezier curve. The lime green capitals on the bottom line do not work. The black lower case letters stand out so much more. You should use a single color for each of bottom two lines. Black will probably work for both.

The reflection in the middle sample adds clutter rather than clarity. Drop it.

Having too many fonts is a bad thing. However, there is no need for your all caps "MBCMS" to use the same font as your last two lines. Look into using a monospaced font for the "MBCMS." That will make it easier to weave a real sine curve around your letters.

Ask yourself what is the purpose of the single black dot. Mass spectroscopy measures the masses of a large number of similar species with varying masses, not the varying mass of one particle.

4. semicharmed macrumors regular

Mass spectroscopy readouts, just from browsing Wikipedia/Organic Chem class, aren't curved, so aside from the above critiques of the logo, the line doesn't really "fit" with the feel of the lab.
    The colors are really distracting; especially in the bottom text. If this lab is anything like the ones on the campuses I've been on, it will get a lot of reproduction in B&W, so try to step back and use blacks/greys to illustrate your concept.
    Just a quick thought: mass spectroscopy readouts are "spiky" so how about using a spiky line to divide MBCMC and the text, or playing with the arrangement of the letters - think periodic table like. Also look at logos, etc for the university/college the centre is a part of, usually there are university-wise design guidelines.

5. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

Start without color. And take a look at an actual mass spectrometry readout.

Try something like this. I know it could be hard to duplicate in Illustrator but you can use the live trace feature.

Attached Files:

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's nice.

7. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

well, i thought something like this would cool and kind of abstract, in a functional way. I don't know. It's not perfect by any means, just an idea.

-je

EDIT: sorry, i guess i missed Hobbbz's post. My bad, i guess mine is pretty similar, though mine was done in illustrator.

Attached Files:

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

This is pretty great. I'd definitely use this one as a starting point.

9. CMD is me macrumors 6502

Exactly my thoughts. SIMPLIFY

10. richskl thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the responses! you're all right, I did need to simplify the logo. I did actually think of something like JasonElise1983 came up with but I was using real mass spectra and it wasn't working out. Using an artificially generated MS is a good idea. Anyway I've come up with something I'm fairly satisfied with and think everyone in my lab will like it. The only thing I might change is redoing the top letters in a monospace font as the M's look a bit big. Cheers.
    [​IMG]

btw. any more suggestions still welcome!

11. jizwood1 macrumors member

12. LeviG macrumors 65816

Personally I think maybe the characters (MBCMS) need a bit more definition, they seem a little lost to me, I have to think about the letters if you get what I mean. Maybe try making the edging a little thicker.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im no expert on this area, but im not so sure if the blue outline on the MBCMS looks good enough. it kind of blends in too much with the writing underneath it...

14. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I also think the blue outline is a tad lost, how about using a fine red outline round the text.

15. one3 macrumors regular

Here is my quick contribution - just going along same lines as the suggestions posted:

Attached Files:

16. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I like one3's a lot. Still has spectral lines similar to MSpec data but clean. Chemists don't like too flashy or artsy, that's why they're chemists.;)

Very professional looking.

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Each new iteration has been an improvement
    I too like one3's the best so far

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

18. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

one3's are really, really good. I think the bottom one catches my eye the most.

DoFoT9's is good, too, but I would either drop the blue and go with one color everywhere. Then you could have an all black one as well as the all blue one.

19. richskl thread starter macrumors newbie

ok. I've had a play with the outline logo I posted. Red looks totally wrong, it looks like it's advertising a low budget horror flick! But an "all blue" logo actually looks very good. It makes the logo more of a solid entity. One3's logos are certainly very clean/professional but they do look slightly generic so I might have a go at adapting them. It looks like there's a subtle gradient on the green letters? (or it could just be my screen)

20. one3 macrumors regular

Yes, there is a gradient both on the letters on the second logo and the green box on the third logo.

21. polar-blair macrumors regular

Noooo Dont change them they look really good! keep it simple and it will stand out, I really like these latest designs. Very slick

22. exabytes18 macrumors 6502

I kind of liked hobbbz's logo. For whatever reason, I could imagine it on the lab's letterhead... just seems scientific by itself. one3's carry style and are probably easier to build a website around, shrink, scale, print, etc. I particularly like the second of the three, but they all seem very professional and would work well.

23. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I think JasonElise1983's logo would be great on the side of a university building. Would work well in most other instances too, as longs it didn't have to go too small.

I also think one3's versions are great, but don't know if they are a bit too cool looking for a science orientated topic... lol Kinda makes me think of music too.