Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
i just created a logo for a client and would like some feedback before i send it off to them.

the client's product is a windows app that monitors system services, etc., and makes sure things are functioning appropriately.

i designed it in illustrator.

let me know what you think...

service%20hawk%20logo%20rgb-01.jpg

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
i just created a logo for a client and would like some feedback before i send it off to them.

the client's product is a windows app that monitors system services, etc., and makes sure things are functioning appropriately.

i designed it in illustrator.

let me know what you think...

service%20hawk%20logo%20rgb-01.jpg

That looks VERY pretty! I really like the text. I just installed Illustrator 10 on Leopard on Tuesday and I'm totally lost. It makes no sense to me! But you on the other hand, have these skills down pat!

miiles

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
California
I like it overall, but for some reason it doesn't seem that crisp to me, but I don't really know what to improve for that.

The change in color in the text seems a little extreme for me, but again I'm not sure how I would change it.

Sorry, I'm not that much of a help.

It is a really well done logo, I'm sure you client will appreciate it.

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
I like it overall, but for some reason it doesn't seem that crisp to me, but I don't really know what to improve for that.

The change in color in the text seems a little extreme for me, but again I'm not sure how I would change it.

Sorry, I'm not that much of a help.

It is a really well done logo, I'm sure you client will appreciate it.

Thanks... the web quality does dull it down quite a bit. I may need to rework the colors to be a bit brighter for the web.

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Ah I see.

Icons are not nearly as important in windows it seems! :p

Good logo, though I think circle would look cool. :p

You're right about large, nice icons not having importance in windows...

I too think the circle would look cool. One of early designs was a circle, but the client really preferred an oval shape. i may try a circle again with the polished logo just to see if they would like it now with this logo

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
That looks VERY pretty! I really like the text. I just installed Illustrator 10 on Leopard on Tuesday and I'm totally lost. It makes no sense to me! But you on the other hand, have these skills down pat!

Illustrator is one of those programs that, for me, never seems to be fully tapped. There's so much stuff in it - I feel like I'm learning something new in Illustrator all the time.

I just installed CS4 the other day, so now I have a whole new slew of features to learn.

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
here is an 'optimized for the web' version. didn't do that the first time around. the colors are closer to what i actually designed... not so dull.

service-hawk-logo-rgb-01.jpg

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
I think it would look better round

Yeah ... without the hawk, the round cog inside the oval would sort of look like an eye, which would be a nice visual (but clearly unrelated to anything hawk-ish and so not much use here).

As it is, though, the circle of the cog and the oval frame are working against each other. Since an oval cog would make no sense at all, I would either lose the cog entirely or make the frame circular.

Cheers!

Jim

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Yeah ... without the hawk, the round cog inside the oval would sort of look like an eye, which would be a nice visual (but clearly unrelated to anything hawk-ish and so not much use here).

As it is, though, the circle of the cog and the oval frame are working against each other. Since an oval cog would make no sense at all, I would either lose the cog entirely or make the frame circular.

Cheers!

Jim

Part of the idea of having the cog look somewhat like an eye within the oval is because one of the phrases they gave me to describe their software is that it watches your system like a hawk.

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Ok... tried it with a perfect circle instead of the oval. still have some tweaking to do on this version, but i threw it together fast to see what it would look like with a circle.

circle-service-hawk-logo-rgb.jpg

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
How will it look in black and white?

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about it with this logo. According to them, they are strictly using this for their website (which I get to design), and their cd packaging (which will be in color).

I know that for a good logo you should start in b&w, but in this case I could bypass that route altogether.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Hey there,

I really like the look a lot. It definitely looks better in a circle, but the wishes of the clients...:rolleyes:

Anyway, only thing that's throwing me off a little is the shadow of the hawk and the light on the bezel. They are going in opposite directions. The light seems to be shining on the top right of the gear, but the hawk's shadow is going up like its being lit from the bottom. Seems they should share the same light source. That's it from me... Otherwise, I really like it!

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Hey there,

I really like the look a lot. It definitely looks better in a circle, but the wishes of the clients...:rolleyes:

Anyway, only thing that's throwing me off a little is the shadow of the hawk and the light on the bezel. They are going in opposite directions. The light seems to be shining on the top right of the gear, but the hawk's shadow is going up like its being lit from the bottom. Seems they should share the same light source. That's it from me... Otherwise, I really like it!

I flipped the shadow off the hawk to go down now. Initially I had tried for a two light source kind of approach, but it was just too busy.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.