Logo Critique

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Starflyer, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

This is for a new department in our Church's national organization. They wanted something modern and cutting edge. I just feel it's missing something.

Attached Files:

2. orangeillini14 macrumors regular

3. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

i am not sure about red being the colour.... only as its associated with a church.

Yes red says love, but it has more negative connotations...

Try a few different colours.

Blues and purples spring to mind for me. Kind of regal or there abouts.

4. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

The "MA" in the "mountain" portion of the logo is discernable, but I would consider moving the horizontal part of the "A" up slightly.

Currently, that vertical portion looks like an "L" at first glance. If it did not extend to the right from the very bottom of the vertical, I think that would be less so.

I doubt the change need be great -- without compositing it myself, I suspect that even a tiny extension below the horizontal would be enough to clue the eye into the fact that it's not an L.

Otherwise, pretty cool! :)

(And merry Christmas!)

5. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

6. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I think the giant MA is way to over powering. Maybe try it smaller and next to the words, Also try the words as a different font to add some contrast. Im also not too sure about the gradient of colors. I think it makes it harder to read.

7. TJunkers macrumors 6502a

TJunkers

I think it's great. Only thing I can agree with is the color change. Maybe a teal or light blue. Something, not to sound corny, "heavenly."

8. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

I agree with the sentiments of a color change, and you might want to fix the one pixel rift in the bottom of the A.

Shown below.
    [​IMG]

9. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Aesthetically, I think it looks awesome. The only issue I have with it is what others have noted -- the color, for one. Also, the style reminds me a bit of a gaming/console company more than something church related. I'd try some cooler colors, and maybe some more rounded/less futuristic looking fonts.

But, as a standalone, just looks great.

10. pyramis macrumors member

I agree with others about color. Try a pale blue, a teal or a green.

Also agree with another poster that the initials above are overpowering the image. This is very much an Old Testament God-as-supreme-authority kind of structure you have going on. Combined with the color, it is extremely masculine and dominating. Maybe that's what you're going for, but I think of mission work as a little more gentle and compassionate. A logo should communicate a feeling that matches the organization it's representing.

11. Scooby_Doo macrumors member

Scooby_Doo

I agree with other posters: When I first looked at this it felt more like a NASA program than a Church organization. If they want something futuristic then this might work, have you given them this draft yet?

Something about the way that you've set up the a's in America, slanting in towards one another, along with the braces of the larger M shape, make me feel claustrophobic. It's as if this mission is going to dominate me and collapse/trap me inside. While to a certain extent this is good if you want to make people feel included, it might give off a authoritarian vibe that some of America doesn't respond well to.

Also, when I zoomed the image out, to a small size as it might appear on a business card (top right, with name and contact in the center), a lot was lost in the "Missions America" text. It started to become too busy in my opinion.

Have you considered making the A in the "MA" more prominent? Perhaps you could combine them to make a cross shape, giving it a bit more definition to the organization. It's a little bit conventional, but with your fonts you might be able to make this work. See the attached image as a sketch.

Good luck!

Attached Files:

• MA.png
      MA.png
      File size:
      5.2 KB
      Views:
  12. rockdog macrumors member

rockdog

I agree with anim8or, purple and navy or black. I would stay away from the color gradient making the stylized M & A one color and the text another color creating simplicity for printing. I can already see the letterhead and business cards now =)

Otherwise I think it is a great start

13. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
  14. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

15. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

noooo. the cross just adds another element to the composition for people to interpret.. keep it simple. and i just wont say anything about the colors.

16. zed macrumors 6502

I would try to get Missions America all on one line, either that or stacked with similar widths. I think the angles of the logo and the staggered type make the logo too much for the viewer to try to discern.

I would simplify the mark you have going for MA, put the type on one line, and tweak the M in Missions to make it a little bit more legible.

About the color, I think you would be better off getting the logo working before worrying about the color. Good logos are just as effective in black and white as they are in full color.

17. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

I understand that, I was simply showing how you could include a cross in the current design. It is up to the OP to make it work.

again, the colors were just me playing around and when I quit trying that is what was on my screen... :)