Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anderson3133

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Alright, I have been asked by a friend to help design a logo for a company called Doogo. It is a Canadian company that sells a variety of products online. Unfortunately, the website is not up at this point in time and I have no ideas. Any help would be awesome. Thanks guys!

motoxpress

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
I am not sure what you are asking here. Are you a designer? If not, encourage him to go find one and pay them handsomely :)

-mx

Anderson3133

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
I am not sure what you are asking here. Are you a designer? If not, encourage him to go find one and pay them handsomely :)

-mx

:p I was hoping for some form of help, whether it be in the form of assistance, ideas, ways to do this, etc. I am by no means a designer, but have always been fascinated by the things you guys can create, so I thought I would give it a try.

motoxpress

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
Well, it is a free country...But, if your friend was looking for some help with a triple-bypass, would you go buy a scalpel?

As far as help goes, I am not sure what I can offer. Design is a process not a light bulb (Switched on and off) as many might think. There are also a lot of concepts and rules (Yes, art has rules) that go into good design. So, by accepting the job from the friend you are kind of throwing yourself into a situation where you have no tools or personal guidance to know when you have succeeded...and it's not when you think "Hey, that looks pretty good".

I don't want to come off condescending, which I probably am, but, there really is a lot to design and logo design is one of the hardest challenges in the field. Don't hit yourself over the head too much when it doesn't come together.

If you are determined and willing to learn then, start with reading the following books:

"The mac is not a typewriter"
"Stop stealing sheep & find out how type works"
"The non-designer's design book"

-mx

Anderson3133

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Well, it is a free country...But, if your friend was looking for some help with a triple-bypass, would you go buy a scalpel?

As far as help goes, I am not sure what I can offer. Design is a process not a light bulb (Switched on and off) as many might think. There are also a lot of concepts and rules (Yes, art has rules) that go into good design. So, by accepting the job from the friend you are kind of throwing yourself into a situation where you have no tools or personal guidance to know when you have succeeded...and it's not when you think "Hey, that looks pretty good".

I don't want to come off condescending, which I probably am, but, there really is a lot to design and logo design is one of the hardest challenges in the field. Don't hit yourself over the head too much when it doesn't come together.

If you are determined and willing to learn then, start with reading the following books:

"The mac is not a typewriter"
"Stop stealing sheep & find out how type works"
"The non-designer's design book"

-mx

I totally agree. By no means will my design be used. I thought it would be fun to try and maybe get some ideas or suggestions from you guys.

Thanks for your input!

Krebstar

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Where did the name come from? What do you mean by variety? Do they want to use the fact it's based in Canada in the logo?

Research, research and more research. You need to find out these types of things if you want a logo that means something, otherwise you'll get people posting things in this thread because it just looks cool or they felt like pulling it out of thin air.

If you have more information, someone here would be able to help, but if you're just asking for someone to spit out an idea, the final logo will suffer due to it's lack of depth and meaning.

Based on what you've said, someone will most likely upload the name of the company in a simple typeface and say "here you go".

There needs to be more information, and if you're friend isn't capable of providing you with it, don't waste your time.

miiles

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
California
Here's your brand spanking new logo!

Well not really, but I wanted to do something.

EDIT: I didn't even read this,
Based on what you've said, someone will most likely upload the name of the company in a simple typeface and say "here you go".
until after I had posted.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 89

Jonnyfive

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
British Columbia
I hate to say it but I don't really like it. It looks like it belongs on a homemade website from the late 1990's.

It doesn't look pro at all. It is too amateur looking.

Sorry :(

Anderson3133

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Explain the difference between us concepting you a logo for free and you giving away Doogo's products for free.

The difference is final product. A better comparison would be;
You concepting a logo for free, and Doogo assisting you in an educated purchase.

Anderson3133

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Where did the name come from? What do you mean by variety? Do they want to use the fact it's based in Canada in the logo?

Research, research and more research. You need to find out these types of things if you want a logo that means something, otherwise you'll get people posting things in this thread because it just looks cool or they felt like pulling it out of thin air.

If you have more information, someone here would be able to help, but if you're just asking for someone to spit out an idea, the final logo will suffer due to it's lack of depth and meaning.

There needs to be more information, and if you're friend isn't capable of providing you with it, don't waste your time.

No offense but, the name came from "out of thin air" and the (variety of) products they sell include:
Books
Computers
Software
Sports Equipment
Shoes
Clothing

I mean the list is endless, which makes this logo hard to come up with.

The company prides itself on Canadian business.

Exman

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2008
If you don't have the time or resources to design your own logo, have a look at boxedart. They have zillions of templates for everything from flash, to website to logo, to corporate IDs. The website is humongous and the designs are very professional. This site is legit. A friend of mine joined for a 3month memembership ($49.99), in that time, he downloaded all sorts of templates for everything, though he was only after one logo for his business.

The templates come in Photoshop, Illustrator, flash etc formats so they're ready to be edited for customisation.

http://www.boxedart.com/

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
I saw a logo in a phone book once. I forgot which page it was on though. :rolleyes:

(The company name sounds like a pet store.)

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
We really need to make a new FAQ/sticky in the Design and Graphics section called "FAQ: Conceptual help vs. Billable help: Spec Work and You!" or something equally cheesy but honest. :)

To the OP, if you haven't yet realized, you seem to be asking for billable help.

If it was conceptual help, such as, "What file formats are logos usually made with for a company that will have a website and printed matter? What programs do you guys use to design logos? What makes a good logo for an online company? How do you conceive a logo for a company? How do you develop an identity for a corporation that sells a huge conglomeration of products?" etc etc, then that would be different.

As it were, being billable help, you were asking "How would you design this company's logo? Can I have some of your expert ideas for free? Can you design one for me? My friend asked me to make him a logo and he's the rich guy running this business/the guy suckered into an MLM who needs help/I'm in over my head and I want someone to do the work for me." (Okay, that last part is just me guessing because this happens here a lot.)

But in your defense, you clearly did not know how inappropriate this was. I suggest you take a look at the following website and spend a few minutes reading and learning about what it is to be a designer, what their work entails, and the ethical ways to ask for design consultation and/or to employ the expert skill and creativity of a professional designer: http://www.no-spec.com/

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
:p I was hoping for some form of help, whether it be in the form of assistance, ideas, ways to do this, etc.
ok, where do we send the invoice.

I am by no means a designer, but have always been fascinated by the things you guys can create, so I thought I would give it a try.
oh great another one :rolleyes:

By no means will my design be used. I thought it would be fun to try and maybe get some ideas or suggestions from you guys.
So in other words you want the most expensive part of the development of a corporate identity/logo done for free - not going to happen on here (its also in the rules about no 'free' work)

No offense but, the name came from "out of thin air" and the (variety of) products they sell include:
sorry but I thought it was relating to dogs, its just missing a space and a p while still having the same overall sound.

no wonder you want it for free as this would cost you a small fortune as you have no clear direction - had any quotes recently by any chance :rolleyes:

but clearly not on paying for services to other canadian businesses.

And this bit is quality -

The difference is final product. A better comparison would be;
You concepting a logo for free, and Doogo assisting you in an educated purchase.
ok, not really design is not about picking x product from a range of y products, thats a peice of cake, theres only so many variables to consider.
Designing a logo alone has at the very least initial concepts, development of those concepts, revision of those developed designs, colour considerations (is there a colour scheme), differenet environmental considerations (print versus web for example) and last but not least individuality.

And I agree we need a nice big bold stick it in your face sticky regarding this 'free' work.

Anderson3133

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
We really need to make a new FAQ/sticky in the Design and Graphics section called "FAQ: Conceptual help vs. Billable help: Spec Work and You!" or something equally cheesy but honest. :)

To the OP, if you haven't yet realized, you seem to be asking for billable help.

If it was conceptual help, such as, "What file formats are logos usually made with for a company that will have a website and printed matter? What programs do you guys use to design logos? What makes a good logo for an online company? How do you conceive a logo for a company? How do you develop an identity for a corporation that sells a huge conglomeration of products?" etc etc, then that would be different.

As it were, being billable help, you were asking "How would you design this company's logo? Can I have some of your expert ideas for free? Can you design one for me? My friend asked me to make him a logo and he's the rich guy running this business/the guy suckered into an MLM who needs help/I'm in over my head and I want someone to do the work for me." (Okay, that last part is just me guessing because this happens here a lot.)

But in your defense, you clearly did not know how inappropriate this was. I suggest you take a look at the following website and spend a few minutes reading and learning about what it is to be a designer, what their work entails, and the ethical ways to ask for design consultation and/or to employ the expert skill and creativity of a professional designer: http://www.no-spec.com/

The bolded section is what I am actually asking for. Sorry if I sounded like I was asking for free services, I may have not worded it properly. By no means do I expect professional help for free, and if someone did want to design one on here and submit it, that's fine. I would gladly pay a fee. Just make sure you attach a price tag to it when you submit it.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
The bolded section is what I am actually asking for. Sorry if I sounded like I was asking for free services, I may have not worded it properly. By no means do I expect professional help for free, and
OK then here you go.

What programs do you guys use to design logos? well usually illustrator although most of us don't actually use the program to design the logo, its just there to produce the finished article(s) - most of us use paper and pen/pencil to design logo's first.

What makes a good logo for an online company?
look at the ones you remember the most and see whats similar

How do you conceive a logo for a company?
depends on company but training/experience and the questions asked usually put us in the right direction.

How do you develop an identity for a corporation that sells a huge conglomeration of products?
see above.

if someone did want to design one on here and submit it, that's fine. I would gladly pay a fee. Just make sure you attach a price tag to it when you submit it.
Thats not the way it works.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Following LeviG's format, here is my list.

What programs do you guys use to design logos? Pencil/pen and lots of paper. I use both printer paper and a giant roll of trace paper. After my design is where I want it, I use a scanner and then Illustrator to trace it on the computer.

What makes a good logo for an online company? There are lots of factors here. No more than a few colors. No "special effects" (gradients, etc).

How do you conceive a logo for a company? Research, research, research. Lot's of questions about the company. Did I mention research? Practice, experience, etc. These things take a lot of time and talent.

How do you develop an identity for a corporation that sells a huge conglomeration of products? How about Research? Also, the best mark for a company like this may an abstract mark. Something not even related to any of the products he sells.

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
"doogo"
Notice the five repeating circles in this example; this is a potential hook for this logo design.
The letters can actually just be a set of five identical circles with the ascender and descender added as distinctive strokes.
Example of this concept is attached.

GL

Attachments

• doogoLogo.png
    doogoLogo.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 855

Anderson3133

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Following LeviG's format, here is my list.

What programs do you guys use to design logos? Pencil/pen and lots of paper. I use both printer paper and a giant roll of trace paper. After my design is where I want it, I use a scanner and then Illustrator to trace it on the computer.

What makes a good logo for an online company? There are lots of factors here. No more than a few colors. No "special effects" (gradients, etc).

How do you conceive a logo for a company? Research, research, research. Lot's of questions about the company. Did I mention research? Practice, experience, etc. These things take a lot of time and talent.

How do you develop an identity for a corporation that sells a huge conglomeration of products? How about Research? Also, the best mark for a company like this may an abstract mark. Something not even related to any of the products he sells.

This was very helpful. Thank you.

Krebstar

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Books
Computers
Software
Sports Equipment
Shoes
Clothing

I don't take offense to the name coming out of thin air. You should, you're the unlucky one who has to capture something in a logo when it's too broad to be something. Good luck with that. :)

You made a very important point, though. The company prides itself on it's Canadian business. To me, that says you should seriously look at somehow incorporating it into the logo. Doesn't have to be in the final, but try and concept and see if it's possible to throw it in, even if it's very settle.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
"doogo"
Notice the five repeating circles in this example; this is a potential hook for this logo design.
The letters can actually just be a set of five identical circles with the ascender and descender added as distinctive strokes.
Example of this concept is attached.

GL

I can't believe you just gave away a free (good) logo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.