Logo for business college committee

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by jarruemota, Aug 12, 2013.

1. jarruemota macrumors member

What do you think about these logos for my business college committee?

Currently we don't have a specific logo just some random business clipart.

I have created three logos, which one do you like best?

Hope you like them, thanks :) I'm open to any suggestions! :D

[​IMG]

2. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I like the top one. But perhaps try it with a bolder weight for the text. I feel like their needs to be some more contrast between the line widths of the text and the icons. I don't know why. Just sort of a subjective thing. (Although, honestly, it's pretty good as is).

The other two concepts are a bit too busy for my taste. They have too many symbols which tends to be overkill.

Nice work. I love the color scheme.

3. schimmel macrumors member

schimmel

Ideally I'd like to know more about the project, what they stand for, what history they have, what they do etc. But I'll make a comment based on what I see.

You seem to have talent and I think you're generally onto something good, but I'm very doubtful if the five 'icons' provide enough information to warrant the busyness they create. I would settle for one of them, or create something that tries to catch their soul into one icon if neccessary.

I say get rid of all of them except the student hat, which looks like a crown and is understandable, and gives context and meaning. The icons depicting a world map, a Pi and what I guess to be a folder is not very communicative or carrying much meaning in my opionion.

Like a good sauce; boil it down to the essentials.

4. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

For me the colors throw me off a bit. I'm getting more preschool/elementary school due to the kind of happy, box of crayons color palette. I'd guess your college has one or two primary branding colors that might be a bit more appropriate.

If I had to guess on another aspect, I'm betting the different icons was one of the first ideas you had and you ran with it. I'd encourage you to explore a bit more and test out some other ideas before settling in to one concept.

5. kevinfulton.ca, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

kevinfulton.ca macrumors 6502

The top one is definitely the strongest. My only concern is that having those icons over top of each letter makes me think there is supposed to be a connection there, which makes it a little jarring to look at because I'm guessing there isn't. Try a version with the letters outside of the blocks and placed above them. Just keep the type black for now. Have the white icons inside the blocks and make the type above them slightly larger. I think the end results might be a little stronger and cleaner, while keeping the message that you want to communicate. Also, maybe have the academic hat as the first icon on the left. It will help tie it to education faster when reading it.

Hope this helps!

6. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

I think the lower right version has potential, but I'd ditch the icons above the letters - that's way too busy. I'd also play around with the size relationships more. I'd try for a more inventive solution - we've all seen logo concepts similar to these, and they tend to look like all the others.

So mostly my advice is "Simplify. Modify. Simplify" in that order.

7. .eric macrumors member

First one is definitely the best. More weight to the font, agreed.

8. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

First rule of logo design is to size it for business card usage. With that in mind, you're going to run into problems with scale. The Earth is too detailed and will become a muddy dot.

Rather than use boring clipart that doesn't convey a clear message to people (such as me) who aren't in the know, try listing a couple bullet points describing what CEDEA's purpose is and what it's famous for (achievement or landmark). (If those don't work for you, use what does.)

Pick the concept that works best, create the image, stylize it so it's not too detailed, and work it in with your CEDEA blocks.

9. jarruemota thread starter macrumors member

Updated logo!

Hello!

I have read all of your comments and they were extremely helpful! I have taken the best advices and have updated the logo!

Thank you for your feedback! Hope you like the updated logo and tell me what you think about it :)

Updated Logo:
    [​IMG]

For the people who asked why I chose the clipart, the answer is here in the old/current logo:
    [​IMG]

10. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

The clipart doesn't help, and the greek leter Pi doesn't go well with latin C. Not even as 3.14 makes sense.

The last one looks better, except for the clipart

11. kevinfulton.ca macrumors 6502

Nice work! What you have is a much stronger logo and I'd say you're down to just fine tuning. The best part about fine tuning is that there's not really a "right or wrong" answer from here on in, but there's still plenty to play with. To help make some of the final decisions try converting it to a one color (black on white and white on black) design and see how it works. From the look of it I'm guessing it should work fine. Congrats! I'm sure the client will like it!

12. jarruemota thread starter macrumors member

Final logo! Please critique!

After reading all of your comments and playing around with the logo, I think I have come up with the final revision! This is the logo I will present to the business college committee.

Final Logo:
    [​IMG]

Thank you for all of your feedback and tips, they served me really well :D

13. kevinfulton.ca, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013

kevinfulton.ca macrumors 6502

Even better then the last! Nice work! The only thing that needs some attention is the type on the side of the A and at the bottom of the logo, but I'm guessing you already know that ;). Those letters need some breathing room. Right now they are borderline unreadable in some areas. That does mean that once the kerning or tracking adjustments have been made that the size of the type will need to decrease. However, since these are only call outs and not the main messages, I don't think it would damage the logo in anyway. I'd also look at a lighter/thinner font for the type at the bottom. It will help draw more attention to the CEDEA, while naturally adding a bit more separation without needing to change the color.

Overall it's much more balanced and polished. The selection and order or the icons is also very well thought out. Most importantly it will work nicely in multiple formats without losing the message you're trying to project. Good job!

14. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I don't know the specific use for this icon (posters, letterhead, business cards, etc.), but pull up this thread where you can see the new logo and stand back about six feet from the screen.

I don't know about you, but I have no idea what those icons are unless I'm viewing the logo at a pretty large size, and I imagine with most uses for that logo you're going to run into the same problem.