Logo program needed ....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EarthDawn, Jan 15, 2010.

1. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Well I need to make a logo and really need some good advice on what programs work best and fairly easy to use.

I was thinking apature might work but just not sure.

Thanks for your thoughts

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

There are no 'logo' programs as such. There are graphics programs that you use to produce a logo but they don't do it for you. If thats what you mean?

Don't use Photoshop for creating a logo. Use Illustrator or another vector graphics program.

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

There is Inkscape that is like Illustrator but not as good, or bug free, but it is freeware.

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

No one will tell if you use Photoshop. If you are looking for a 'logo creator program' it seems you might want to worry about the higher learning curve in Illustrator vs. Photoshop.

Why not just pay someone to make it for you?

6. EarthDawn thread starter macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

@ reasons not to pay... if they decide to change careers then I cant get it edited further & they all want a LOT of $$$
    Its not a big project and I would rather learn to do it myself so I can make changes and adjustments to colors, size etc later on.

I guess I really ment what program is best suited for this. I figured it would be Photoshop or Aperture 2 ...

Any thoughts on Aperture 2 ????

and if you like Photoshop what version would you suggest ??? I see there are a bunch of versions out there....

Thanks for the input !!!!
    Much appreciated :D

7. icrash macrumors newbie

8. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

You really want to do it in something like Illustrator or Inkscape because if you do it in Photoshop it doesn't scale well. Photoshop is a fixed aspect ratio application, the images are the size you make them and if you need something larger then it won't look right. If you use a vector based program (Illustrator, Inkscape, CorelDraw) you can make the logo any size you want, it will just scale nicely.

I had to do this about two years ago when I was designing the logo for our company; so yeah, been there, done that. :D

9. ecflagcorp macrumors newbie

You apparently don't care much for your logo. Or whatever your creating it for. It's obvious you have no design knowledge since you're thinking of doing this in Aperture and you won't hire someone to help you design a really nice logo that will work for your project...as well as whomever and whatever you put this logo on. Your best bet is Word Art. But, to save whomever is going to get this artwork, if you ever produce it somewhere outside your desktop printer...use Adobe Illustrator. Any version will do.

10. EarthDawn thread starter macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Understood. Ill check them out...

well if I was staring up a multi-million dollar company and not a side project I would hire someone. Spending $800-$2000 on a logo for something of this scale is not in the cards. Wish I could just because it would be great to have a logo that is ready for Time Square exposure...but its just not. Design knowledge I don't have hence the reason I am asking the questions.
    I was just asking about Aperture and again just asking as it is a photo editing program... sorry if my lack of knowledge annoyed you.

11. ecflagcorp macrumors newbie

Hun, I hate to tell you, but buying an Adobe product is about that expensive. So seriously, Google freeware vector software then, or use Word. Or, post a need for one on LimeExchange.com or some posting site like that where you will have control over how much you want spend. And then, when you pay for the logo, you have the rights to acquire the "working files" of the project. That way, they will work if you want to print them on a keychain, t-shirt, etc. If you ever decide to get a freelance designer that you can depend on to be there to help you whenever you need, then you can give them those files and they should work for them.

If that still isn't your cup of tea, well, hit up TuCows.com or something for 'graphic design software'. Aperture is designed for editing photos, it isn't a program to design logos in. Photoshop, well, it's a photo program too, you can design logos in it but it isn't recommended. It is pretty expensive.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You're clearly lacking some serious skill set in understanding what each application is used for. Aperture won't create a logo. Photoshop, if you were "shopping" and you saw "many versions" then you're likely shopping in places you should not be shopping. The most recent version is CS4. Illustrator is great because it's vector and that's typically what you want for a logo.

Learn what each app does. Lean the tools. Then learn how to make a logo. If you think it's cheaper to do it yourself, the guy who doesn't know that Aperture is not a logo creator, then GLWT.

Aperture is indeed a photo editing and workflow app but photo editing isn't logo creation. I know you're just asking questions but I think when someone says no to Aperture and you come back with Aperture 2, well I don't know what else to tell you.

13. Buzz Bumble Guest

There are a few shareware application around for "creating logos" which would be much easier and cheaper than trying to learn a full art package like Illustrator / Photoshop / Corel / etc. and no doubt more.

I haven't used any of these - they may not be able to do CMYK colours or print resolutions for professionally printed material.

For purely in-house printing, even the rather horrible Word Art in Microsoft Word (and probably similar in Apple's Pages) might be enough.

14. EarthDawn thread starter macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

LOL... thats because I am a slow learner and took the little bus to school while wearing my helmet...
    PS... Love your avatar of the cat licking its privates ... :D
    ~~~
    Thanks again to all for the insight. Sorry if my simplistic question raised concern over my ability for basic comprehnsion of design.

Its a fun side project... not a corporate take over people.

15. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

If you want a bit of fun with Logos have a play on the site below: Might give you some ideas if nothing else.

http://cooltext.com/