Logo work

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by boatcapt, Dec 9, 2014.

1. boatcapt macrumors member

What's a good, not so expensive program to do simple company logo work? Thanks.

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Affinity Designer. Best app to come along in a long time. Very close to Adobe Illustrator and great for what you want to do. iDraw would be another good app, but not a complete as Affinity. I use Affinity and have used iDraw, both will do a good job, plus both are relatively cheap compared to Illustrator.

3. jrawl004 macrumors newbie

Pixelmator...Only costs $29.99 on the app store.

4. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

iDraw. Here are some iconish tutorials. Has a free trial.

Pixelmator here, also has a free trial.

Affinity Designer, ditto. Currently on sale.

Acorn here. Also a free trial.

----------

Right now iDraw has the ability to place text on a path, and pretty easily too. It also has shape libraries which one can add to. These features are useful for creating icons & logos, and unfortunately Affinity doesn't have them yet. They will be added in future though.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Thank you. Should have mention that, my bad. I work between PS, AI & Affinity, so I have all the tools at hand. I sometimes forget about that. Appreciate your added info to my post.

6. kolax macrumors G3

You can get a 30 day trial of Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, which may be enough time for you to do a 'simple' logo.

7. boatcapt, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014

boatcapt thread starter macrumors member

Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "text on a path"? This will be my first adventure into graphics work, but I think it is something I will enjoy. Would this mean you can't put text into your images?

8. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Text on a path means that you can create a path and have text follow that path as you are typing. Here is a link to give you an example of how it is done in Photoshop, but it would be similar or same in just about any program. You can always put text in your images, it is just how you want to do it.

9. kolax macrumors G3

I think you should spend a few evenings watching YouTube videos on how to use likes of Photoshop or Illustrator. Even if you don't use those applications, it'll educate you on the basics. There's a lot of useful video tutorials out there.

10. boatcapt thread starter macrumors member

Firedept, that's what I figured it was. Just wanted to make sure. I definitely will be scouring the internet learning how to do things. Luckily my company logo is fairly simple, but I like the idea of having programs like this to do other things. I may get Affinity Designer and iDraw too. They are cheaper than I was expecting.

11. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

There are a lot of good and very helpful tutorials (written & video) out there for all of these programs that will help you get up and running. Yes, re "text on a path" --say you create text and want it on a wavy line or circle. In iDraw you create the shape or line you want it to follow & then select both the shape & text, click Modify, then select "text on path", boom! Done.

I think you will have a lot of fun. :)