Logs filling up from mail

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andywhitt, Apr 23, 2007.

1. andywhitt macrumors member

andywhitt

My logs in

/MacBookHD/Library/Logs/Console/501

are filling up all the time with big files e.g
    console.log
    console.log.0
    console.log.1
    etc . . .

Example of contents:
    After examing the files it seems to be a problem with mail, is there anyway to turn this off.

Thanks

2. Trogloxene macrumors regular

I don't know that I would worry about it. A page of lines is like 2k, a 500 page log file is around 1 meg., nothing in terms of real space. You have many gigs of space on your hard drive, so this is insignificant as a percentage. Now if you fill up your hard drive you could spend time deleting stuff, but other things would probably go first.

-T

3. andywhitt thread starter macrumors member

andywhitt

Thanks for the reply, i forgot to mention we are talking gigabytes (about 6) every few days, and OSX doesn't seem to do a good job of cleaning them up.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Save this to a text file and make sure it is executable.

It will automatically delete all your log files every time you run it from the command line.

Edit : You will need to run this with the correct permissions, either through su or on an admin account.

Be careful though, you may want to remove the -f option as that removes the confirmation before it deletes a file. You will need to type either Y or N before each file is deleted if you do remove the -f.