Lojack hardware support

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alphaod, Mar 13, 2008.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've search the forums, but most them are about whether to buy it or not, etc.

That's not why I care. I want to know if it is hardware supported. I have other computers and they have BIOS support for LoJack which means if you swap out the harddrive, zero everything, without replacing the logic board, the system still reports.

I've had it on older PCs, so I know it's good.

However the Macbook Pro does not have a BIOS. Does the EFI have the same hardware based support for the LoJack?

Regards.

2. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Never mind. Called their support and they said no.

3. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

I too am curious about this. So how does LoJack for Mac work if it's not implanted in the EFI? It can be removed if you zero out the HD?

4. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

5. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

My friend uses this and was crazy about it until he realized he had to unlock the laptop every single time he wanted to use it. He had about a million pics of himself stealing his own laptop :) The other problem is, what if its closed? Or if the robber steals it from behind? Or if there is no Wifi? Or god forbid the computer is off at the time?

EDIT: I read more and it appears that it keeps track of the robbers actions and takes pics incognito, my friend had his in ultra high alarm mode. When his laptop woke from sleep it would take pics and sound an alarm until the apple remote was used to silence it. I still don't know whether a robber would actually try and use the laptop, or in most cases just pawn it off.

6. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes I called LoJack and they said that it is just software based, so the thief can simply swap out the hard drive, wipe the drive, or if he was smart--rm -rf the file.

7. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Thanxs I did not know that. Mabey Lojack is the way to go.

8. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I'd say, spend the money on lojack as it seems less intrusive, and just be pleasantly surprised if you get your stolen laptop back. I wouldn't consider any of these options to be even close to full protection. I think a regular backup plan and some kind of theft insurance would be the best bet.

9. cromeyellow macrumors newbie

LoJack

So if someone steals my MacBook Pro laptop and secure erases (or even just plain erases) the hard drive, the LoJack is gone forever?

What does it mean to rm -rf the file?

10. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

That means to remove the files using the terminal (clean delete). And yes, all they have to do is remove the lojack program (easy) or reformat the hard drive (also easy). Lojack is worthless on Mac's, and slightly less on PC's.

11. extradeal macrumors newbie

file names and location

I try to look where are all the files of the lojack program on a Mac. Does any body know?

12. kirbs macrumors member

I am in college, and I don't expect the average theft to reformat the HD. They would probably just keep the macbook or pawn it, without doing anything to cover their tracks

13. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

I dont think it's worth it if it's just a software based and not hardware...

14. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

Just invest in a laptop insurance that covers theft. If you have a home owner policy or rental policy, they typically cover personal item theft such as laptop.

I wish apple provided accidental insurance like Dell and also theft insurance.

15. Banacek macrumors 6502

If you set a firmware password the thief shouldn't be able to do any of those things.

16. Banacek macrumors 6502

This. It's only a matter of time before your laptop gets stolen. Don't act like it won't happen to you. I learned the hard way.

17. Aktariel macrumors newbie

Except that you can physically replace the HD with a perfectly bootable OS, and it won't complain. Or, even easier, is to remove the EFI password.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...

18. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I'd be pretty impressed if the guy bothered haha.

19. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

I have it an in no way is it intrusive....you dont even know its there literally as you cant see it, let alone edit the settings? I have basic username an password, a guest account so it could be used to get photos etc etc and have set a firmware password. While I know this isnt full proof, its better then nothing.

20. Aktariel macrumors newbie

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Or more.

The best anti-theft device that you can spend money on right now is a Kensington cable lock. I'm serious.

I've worked on friend's computers that have had EFI passwords, that have had all kinds of "special" protections - iAlertU, etc, and I haven't seen anything that can't be overcome with physical access to the machine and a few minutes of work.

The best anti-theft protections are your own secure habits.

Yes, if someone is stupid, then iAlertU or LoJack will work. But if they take it when it's off, remove the EFI password, wipe the HD, and then go online, you're screwed.

The best security policy is a multilayered one. Get a software solution (LoJack, etc), a hardware one (cable lock, and -use it-), and a personal one - train yourself to be more aware of your laptop.