LoJack or UnderCover Anti-Thief for your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by armoredsaint, Sep 21, 2010.

1. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Can't speak to LoJack, but Orbicule's UnderCover does almost the same thing. Orbicule actually helped me recover my stolen Mac, so I guess I'm biased.

3. calvy macrumors 65816

My cousin just had his Windows laptop stolen out of his vehicle. The police were able to get it back for him because of his Lojack. I'm actually considering it now too. Looks like you can get premium coverage for 3 years for 100 bucks. Seems reasonable to me. I may check out the other one mentioned though.

4. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

It is software. Any theif worth his salt is going to wipe the drive first thing they do... thus erasing the software.

It will work great if your theif doesn't know anything and just turns your device on and uses it...

I guess what I am saying is this is easily surpassed.

Before anyone "Corrects" me... Technically this software utilizes a function in the BIOS... and yes the "BIOS" and be reflashed to stop this too.

5. armoredsaint thread starter macrumors regular

armoredsaint

That is a good point, but for the idiot thief out there it might help?

BTW, you need to install a spell check software yourself ;)

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, a thief will steal it and try and either use it themself or sell it. If they were that smart they wouldn't steal it in the first place.

7. armoredsaint thread starter macrumors regular

armoredsaint

I read further and our Macs come with a Firmware password in the utilities disc and it can block HD wiping or re-installing, unless they swap out the hard drive I believe?

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It only provides a minor level of protection. Apple has a page on their site explaining how to bypass the firmware password. It doesn't require changing out the hard drive. So essentially, don't rely on the firmware password for security.

9. calvy macrumors 65816

True, but the typical thief isn't a computer genius. And neither are the fools who buy them for dirt cheap prices. The BIOS/EFI hooks are enough to prevent most criminals from wiping it clean, even if they know how to reinstall an OS.

10. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

stuff like this is retarted and pointless, if your going to steal anything you wipe the thing first, thats like ruile 1 of stealing, if applicable you also crack the sim card in half.

so unless you find a method that can withstand deletion or being cracked in half then dont waste your money.

and buy a kensington lock and tie it to something.

oh and for the record most theifs no how to wipe the system thanks to youtube ;)

11. calvy macrumors 65816

I'm sure it can be debated back and forth all day long, but I'd have to say it depends on what kind of theft you are afraid of. If you are afraid someone is going to bust into your house and take it, then you might be right. But if you leave it in the car all the time, your average car thief is just some jackass who doesn't know anything but how to smash a window.

I honestly rarely take my machine out of my house. And I have home owners insurance if someone were to rob me, so I think I'll pass on it.

12. armoredsaint thread starter macrumors regular

armoredsaint

LOL!!!:cool:

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Unfortunately you have zero evidence that supports the claim that "most drives get swapped out immediately." It just doesn't happen. LoJack programs work all the time.

Yeah, because no thief knows how to cut a kensington lock! :rolleyes:

14. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

the bigger question is, where will you bring the mbp too and have you ever had it stollen. if you just leave it in the car then you deserve to get it stollen, if it gets stolen at work then people will know what to do to it.

if you bring it to school and it gets stolen then your 95% wont find it. (5% is for possibility of secuirty cams)

if you leave it in your house and u get jacked then you might find it soon but they probably will sell it before they turn it on.

15. TJones macrumors regular

Most petty thieves are morons, that's why they're thieves. if they were Lex Luther they'd be working on Wall Street stealing a lot more than a two thousand dollar laptop.

16. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

well i'm going to correct you anyway.
    Mac's don't have BIOS, they use EFI boot which is something completely different.

17. Modernape macrumors regular

Or you could install Prey, which is open source and free - it can take a picture of the 'new owner' via the webcam, get geo location, IP tracroute etc, delete all your keychain/mail settings/browser passwords or lock the machine, flash up a 'reward for safe return' message and plenty more.

18. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Thank you for mentioning Prey, I just installed it and tested it and it works great!

19. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I decided to go with Undercover on both of my MBP's. The features and reviews made it definitely seem worthwhile. It might not be a bad idea to also get an insurance, though I didn't get one specifically for the MBP's.