LoJack, Orbicule Undercover, Adeona???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mclmk8d, Aug 8, 2008.

1. mclmk8d macrumors newbie

mclmk8d

I bought a Mac Book Pro for my son who is off to college for Sound Recording and Technology. Being in a dorm, both he and I are worried about theft. I read about Lo-Jack, Orbicule Undercover and Adeona, and was wondering if anyone has first hand experience with either of both of these. Any help is much appreciated.

I will most likely be buying a MBP for myself in the near future..as a teacher, it is what my school district uses and I love them. I've read various rumors regarding macbooks and MBPs...any new info out in the last couple of days?

2. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I've been looking into Orbicule myself, but since I'm in Canada, I'm not sure how reliable it will be to have a company in Belgium looking over my Mac 24/7. :(

It's around $39 with student discount so yeah, definitely not a bad price for the security of your $1300 purchase.

These small things are going to add up like crazy for me, and being a student, I'm on a budget, so it has to be important!

So far with the MacBook, I'm planning on buying AppleCare, Incase Hardshell, iWork or Office 2008 and Undercover if it's worth the price.

3. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I bought Undercover not long after I bought my MacBook. I haven't actually had to use it yet (thankfully), but it's good to know it'll send screenshots and network info, take iSight pics, and pull off a few other tricks if it ever does get stolen. :)

4. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

You will enjoy the incase hardshell :)

5. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    I will soon buy a MBP and I'd like to protect it against theft as well. I was reading about undercover and it looks good. I'm not sure what is the scenario when an Apple protected by Undercover gets stolen. The FAQ says :

this is nice but who is the person that gets the screenshots. Is it the owner of the Undercover software ?

This means that an ISP would actually tell who an IP belongs to. IMHO, the law about the ISP's rights changes from country to country. Even if Undercover says that they work "worldwide", I doubt that they can force an ISP to give the associated identity to an IP.

So there is a guy from Undercover in every country and they will call the cops and work with them to get the mac back ???

Thanks for you help,
    Tex

6. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

The more I've looked into it the more less likely it seems to me that it would help incase of a theft. Besides, who knows when someone from Orbicule could be watching you through your iSight camera. :rolleyes:

7. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    FYI, I contacted directly Undercover to ask them my previous questions. Here is the answer: