Lojacks tricking us?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by skedealz, Aug 9, 2008.

1. skedealz macrumors member

can anyone clarify this for me?
    "If the theft of your Customer Computer was materially facilitated by your gross negligence or wilful
    misconduct when securing any Customer Computer for which you have purchased the Service, you shall not be entitled to
    activate the Theft Recovery feature for that Customer Computer or, if activated, such activation shall be considered void."

i'm going to be using my macbook pro for school mainly. and from what i understand from the quote, lets say im at school and i accidentally leave my bag behind with my laptop in it and it gets stolen, they can't get it back for me? if i walk out on it to go to the bathroom or something and it gets stolen, they cant recover it? they'll just terminate my service?

2. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

Correct, they're service is if for instance you were on the train and some guy runs up to you punches you in the face and runs off with your laptop. only if it's not your fault.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yep. Or if you leave it on a table and walk away. You're done. So if you leave it in a locked room (in which you have access, including a home, bedroom, or car) then you are covered. Otherwise, No.

TEG

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Surprise surprise -- you're expected to behave responsibly with your computer. You can't just leave it sitting around and say "oh it's ok, I'll get it back, or get the insurance, whatever."

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

They cover theft, not human error of the owner. :(

6. skedealz thread starter macrumors member

i'm glad i read the agreement. so how many would actually get this? i was thinking yes at first but now im leading towards not really-ish.... but who knows, someone might break in my house and steal or into the car, so for those incidents at least i'll be covered. and cheap 3 year on ebay or 3 year from lojacks themselves with the $1,000 guarantee?

7. antibact1 macrumors 6502

If you have contents insurance on your house/apartment, this type of thing should be covered. The deductible will be a little bit more, but there won't be the ceiling of $1000 of coverage.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

wait no coverage available for real life versions of Homer Simpson ... shameful. :p

Sort of sad how many people run around with their brain in neutral like Homer.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

I thought Homer' brain consisted of an unshelled peanut. :p
    No gears at all, so he doesn't have 'neutral'. :D

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah

If you live in a high-crime area, then sure, go ahead and get it.

Or you could just take better care of your expensive things.