LOL! Apple didn't price drop nTB 2017 AT ALL!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Jun 5, 2017.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

$1299 for NTB, woo!!
    ...except its 128GB SSD.

If you want 256GB SSD, add $200 and back to $1499. My disappointment with Apple ONLY continues

[​IMG]

2. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

It has become even more expensive in parts of Europe.

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

As does mine, just cheap move, plain and simple...

Q-6

4. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

...Except for those that only need 128 GB and can save that $200.

5. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

And those that need 256 but think 128 will be fine cause apple thinks so @ 1299 and are having a ruined experience by misjudging it

:p

Even base 12" rMB has been 256 since it's first run in 2015.

What's the messaging that on average regular MacBook users need more space than 'pro' users?

6. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

Well that is on the buyer. Which is why if I think I can get by with X. I buy 4X. So I thought 250GB would be my limit after 5 years of usage, so I got the 1TB version instead.

And THIS CLOSE to the 2016 MacBook Pro release, it is not shocking that there were no real price drops.

7. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

But it was a faux attempted price drop

At wwdc they showed 1299 for nTB. Nowhere did it explain 128 or did they tout "now with half storage for $200 off for people who use less"

And I think considering how many sales have occurred for the nTB from retailers even tho that's retailers, it wouldn't be out of the question to think maybe they would

But it's apple and they're notoriously cheap and deceptive

8. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

They didn't intentionally hide the storage. It is not Apple's fault if people do not double check the specs before hitting Check out.

9. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Did Apple actually say "price drop" verbatim? If so, I consider that deceptive. However, if they said something along the lines of "a lower cost option," I consider that completely honest.

Without an SD slot for internal storage expansion, I don't think the 128 is going to be a good option for almost anyone! I sure hope the sales on the 256 GB models continue. Until now, the 2016 in 2.0/8/256 was often available for less via sales than the new 128 model...

10. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

europe and its import taxes :(

11. thadoggfather, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017

thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

If they didn't intentionally hide it, why are people surprised post event that 1299 only has 128 like myself?

Of course apple has to list specs before checkout. This isn't a mysterious specification iPhone that just tells you MP and A-series SoC. This is a computer.

I can't help but feel like I've been combatting irrationality all day today

Can't even say 1299/128 after 1499/256 precedent just a handful of months ago is deceptive without being met with apologists

Apple is a company. You and me were humans with limited finances. No need to worry about apple's feelings getting hurt by internet comments. And no need to worry
    About apple's bottom line either.

This is just anti-consumer friendly practice from my perspective
    Some combo of arrogance greed and cheapness.

No other explanation.

12. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

Did the other models list the storage and this specific model had it blank? Then they did not intentionally hide it. Just like if you went to the 15" at the same price and saw that they BUMPED the base storage. Fact is, they changed the base model's price. I can see where people are upset they didn't add a disclaimer, but they shouldn't have to. It should have been obvious that "Oh something is different with that configuration" as every other model stayed the same price. I KNEW it was a different config watching the event.

I would agree with you if they dropped $200 of ALL configs. But that one specifically made me say "That config will be different". Sure enough, it was less storage.

13. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

One would assume 2016 to 2017 of the same model would be an all around upgrade not a spec compromise. Especially with <1 year upgrade.

If you KNEW otherwise consider yourself the minority of people in the know.

14. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

I can see your point. I guess they should have had a disclaimer in their slide. But I honestly was not expecting even a $1 drop in price due to the fact that it is just SO CLOSE to the 2016 MacBook Pro release. The fact that they did drop the price in only ONE config was the evidence for me.

15. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

They FULLY knew what they were doing. It was no mistake.

It might as well be bait and switch

16. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

Well that is marketing. All companies do this kind of thing whenever they can. Only use benchmark X when benchmarks Y and Z show less performance for example. "Safari is the fastest browser". Marketing. "Best display on the planet". Marketing.

17. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

in belgium usd 1687,92 is being charged :s
    apple tax.png

18. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Idk. I mean, have prices been the exact same forever? It's not a big deal.

19. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

So now the argument is every company screws the consumer over, so let's be completely numb to it when apple does it? No thanks!

This just reduces trust between consumer and apple where people used to place blind trust and not get burned. Now a non-spec person will now have to read all the details before charging their credit card to make sure they aren't being duped or skimped or upsold or undersold etc etc

It's all good this extreme bean counting will catch up with apple one day.

20. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

Not necessarily. You just need to ignore the marketing. I ignored it when they were talking about Safari. I ignore it when Microsoft talks about Microsoft Edge.

Marketing is nasty. Spin everything to make your product look better. Like politics in a way :)

If enough people were shocked/upset about the storage issue and I am in the minority, maybe Apple will apologize for not stating that.

21. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/macbook-pro-13-price-drop-wwdc-2017/

https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/05/appl...cs-new-price-macbook-air-speed-bump-included/

Apple succeeded. Headlines everywhere of a price drop. Woo!

22. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

128GB is low. I need 256GB. If I had to spend 1299 and get 128GB I wouldn't be happy about it. I'd probably just upgrade to 256GB.

I think Apple is maybe wanting to have a lower entry point, so is offering this?

23. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Nah I think the thinking is what you're describing.

Excited enough to wanna buy a NTB learning on the site it's 1499 actually for the 8/256 and figuring screw it and still going for it, ponying up more than originally thought to be set specs wise.

Apple profits bigly!

24. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

25. trifid macrumors 65816

trifid

Worst of all is... it's 128GB SOLDERED.

What a travesty.