LOL Asus more reliable than Apple

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by reactions, Aug 19, 2009.

1. reactions macrumors 6502

reactions

Asus has held onto its lead over Apple in the second quarter RESCUECOM Consumer Reliability Report, scoring 416 to Apple's result of 394. IBM/Lenovo and Toshiba came in third and fourth, with scores of 314 and 218, respectively.

The report aims to provide unbiased data on big name computers by taking into account both market share and the amount of repair and service calls RESCUECOM had to handle.

"Because ASUS just introduced the newest version of the EEE laptop last fall, the original predicted computer reliability of this laptop has been somewhat up in the air," says David A. Milman, RESCUECOM's founder and CEO.

"However, a good eight months later, we're still receiving the fewest calls for computer repair and support with ASUS, while their market share is increasing, adding the EEE desktop to their line as well, indicating that this PC is continuing to prove itself in terms of computer reliability."

Thoughts?

please be mature and no asus or apple bashing.

2. bearbear macrumors regular

Assuming the data is accurate, what is there to discuss? Asus beats out Apple by a small margin, big deal.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

mmm, OK, Mr IHateSteveJobs :rolleyes:

4. reactions thread starter macrumors 6502

reactions

Lol I kid

but really is asus a better pc then?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Maybe you can start a serious discussion on the topic with an actual link to the press release you're quoting?

6. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No suprise seeing as their head said publicly that they want to "out-apple apple" in the future. If this means that PC users can now get a quality computer thats not gonna fall apart like every dell ive used, thats good for everyone.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm pretty happy with my Asus products (the original EeePC has some known, minor issues, but the EeeBox has been flawless). But I don't understand this statement either... Asus has been releasing Eee models nearly non-stop over the past year... why would someone say the newest version dates from last fall? :confused:

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

10. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Lol thats exactly what i was wondering, what apple user calls this number :confused:

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

How about Rescuecom bashing?

Seriously, I can't recommend enough that you read the links Silencio posted below. Although I think roughlydrafted can do quite a bit of spinning itself, it's pretty hard to deny the obvious conclusions he comes to, which entirely answers your question!!!

12. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

They are the company that always runs these customer survey/service survey polls.
    I don´t know if people call them or how exactly it works. But they also provide the results that have shown Apple in the #1 spot for the last few years. If Consumer Reports and PC magazine et all support their surveys when Apple is at the top, they should stand by these results now.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=rescuecom+apple+computer+survey&aq=f&aqi=&fp=48830840a98bb3c5

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

Wait, if you don't know how Rescuecom determines the numbers, then how can you compare the results to PC World or Consumer Reports? :confused:

http://www.rescuecom.com/RESCUECOM269.html

So the question is, since Rescuecom is basing its survey on the number of Mac owners that called it for Mac repair and service calls, are its numbers accurate?

I can't think of a single post I've ever read on MacRumors from a user that's used Rescuecom for Mac repairs or service. So how the heck can Rescuecom take the number of its Apple customers and divide it out and come up with some crazy ass percentage of reliability, like that means anything? I could see maybe a company like Best Buy doing that, as quite a few people know they do some Mac repairs, but an unknown company like Rescuecom? Really?

Consumer Reports and PC World base their survey results off of sending out tens of thousands of surveys saying "hey, did your Mac ever need a repair during the first year"? That's entirely different. They're surveying people that could have had their Macs repaired in an Apple store, at an authorized Apple repair center, crap, their survey would even include people that had their stuff repaired by Rescuecom.

See the difference?

14. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Consumer Reports and PC World have used/reported on Rescuecom's survey results for several years, and never questioned any of their results. (Please look at the link I provided)
    I never said I agreed with any numbers they have or any results they have provided (hence, it doesn't matter if I know how they do it or not). I said, if you wanted to believe their results in the past, you shouldn't have a problem believing their results now.

Read the difference?

15. djellison macrumors 68020

My first macbook's PSU crapped out (at the magsafe end)- it's now on it's second.
    It's palm-rest cracked, it's now on it's second which has also cracked.

My Macbook Pro - my second mac - the PSU crapped out where the thin cable meets the psu, it's on its second PSU. It's metalic construction is warped and it's a mess as a result.

My UB macbook - guess what......PSU problems. I can use it with the mains lead, but if I use just the plug adaptor - unreliable as hell.

Display-port to DL-DVI adaptor? Unreliable piece of crap that cost >£60. Barely functional.

Meanwhile - the £280 netbook I own has never had ANY of the above failures or indeed any others. Nor did the Dell laptop before my Mac's, or the Sony laptop before that, or the frickin Gericom before that. Or the Toshiba before that. Or the 20+ HP's and IBM's we have at work getting abused by medical students.

I really really wish I could have a Dell Precision M2400 running OSX and never buy an Apple laptop again.

16. Love macrumors 68000

Love

The funny thing is Asus actually manufactures a lot of Apple computers, along with Quanta and foxconn.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Every asus motherboard I have bought has been flawless, its the only brand I buy. I am typing on an asus laptop right now, tough as nails, looks great compared to most other laptops (fake carbon fiber paneling). Performance is great also. ASUS is definitely my favorite PC brand.

Also if you dabble with running os x on a pc type stuff, asus motherboards are one of the most used that I have seen.

18. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    Maybe it has to do with your electric outlet? :confused: I've never had PSU problems in any of my 6 Macs I've used in my lifetime.

EDIT: Sorry for grave digging, didn't see the date on the earlier post! =/

19. djellison macrumors 68020

Nope. Same problems in different places- at work, at home, giving lectures. You can even hear the old crapped out PSU's crackling and buzzing.

They're form over function I'm afraid. Something Apple is fond of.

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Based on my experience (and in no way meaning to extend to others) everything Asus I have ever bought (two EEEs, several motherboards, graphics cards) has worked flawlessly, whereas everything Apple save my iPod Touch (<3) has broken numerous times. So for me, seems right.

On a side note: doesn't Asus manufacture Apple's hardware?