Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeELL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2006
Perth, Australia
0.76" plays 0.78"

I was just watching the original iPod intro on youtube when I realised... amazing how far we've come!

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Hell no! I wouldn't have one of the original iPods, but then i was quite young when they first came out, and never saw one so they have no nostalgia for me!

They were a huge step in the right direction for jusic though, without them i'd still have my MD player :(

MikeELL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2006
Perth, Australia
Yet I'd take a 1st gen iPod and a 12" PB any day of the week. Ghz aside, We really haven't come far at all.:(

Riiiight, so to clarify, *I* was referring to the LED tech, miniaturization of CPU/motherboard and battery components, (and that's just what's relevant to making it thin). The materials science behind making the casing and display mercury and arsenic free, etc etc, not to mention the 200+ patents behind multitouch alone are impressive by any standard. And I'm pretty sure I've missed a whole bunch of stuff out. :D

I'd say while this particular machine is probably only useful to a small niche market, the next mac I'm going to buy is lookin' good.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
This 'thin thin thin' obsession (which Jobs is seriously suffering from, as well as most of this board) is crazy.

Thin does not mean small.

The Great Wall of China is 'thinner' than my House.

At my 'thinnest' point, I'm only 50 microns (a hair sticking up from my head)

Doug

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Thin is the new fat! But you have to admit, even the fattest point of the MBA is pretty dam thin!
Shame the wad of notes required to purchase one isn't thin!

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
This 'thin thin thin' obsession (which Jobs is seriously suffering from, as well as most of this board) is crazy.

Thin does not mean small.

The Great Wall of China is 'thinner' than my House.

At my 'thinnest' point, I'm only 50 microns (a hair sticking up from my head)

Doug

Agreed. It's the inevitable result of prizing form over function, though. We take one step backwards with every two steps forward. For example, it'll be a couple of years before the iPod touch catches up with the drive capacity of the regular iPods...but in the meantime, it's got wifi and a web browser.

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Agreed. It's the inevitable result of prizing form over function, though. We take one step backwards with every two steps forward. For example, it'll be a couple of years before the iPod touch catches up with the drive capacity of the regular iPods...but in the meantime, it's got wifi and a web browser.

And if you jailbreak it, it actually becomes worth buying :D

Just watched the iPod introduction, Steve Jobs is ace! He made me want a 1st Gen iPod and as mentioned earlier i never even really seen one, haha! Bet i would buy double glazing from him!

BioChron

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
Alaska
I wonder how thin will be too thin. When the thickest part of a laptop is .4 inches, you could probably break it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.