lol my iphone has a scratched screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EvryDayImShufln, Oct 7, 2007.

1. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

i still really wonder how this happened... Ive been using it bare in my pocket but it has a very small faint hairline scratch on the screen. And now im obsessed with this :D

Anybody else get a scratch yet?

2. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

Wow I love the title - I had never imagined I would see [lol] my iphone has a scratched screen, together :D

3. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Nope.. my iPhone lives in my pocket with keys and change and there are no scratches on the glass.

It is naked too, I should add.

4. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

This happened to mine after less than 2 weeks. I am still not sure what caused it. I was told it would cost $199 to fix.

Attached Files:

5. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

wow!

That looks rough. As tough as the iphone screen is, it is hard to believe that something like that could happen to it.

Sucks about the repair cost, though :(

6. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

Holy moly! If I got a scratch on the screen I'd have to buy a new one!

7. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Honestly i may sell mine and buy a new one. Luckily in Canada there is such high demand that I could probably make money doing this. But then I epuld have to backtrack the firmware of a 1.1.1 iphone

8. btallada9870 macrumors member

wow, that scratch really sucks!

I have 3 or 4 little tiny scratches on the screen. barely noticable.

9. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Since it is glass, most jewelers could probably polish/buff out surface scratches for pretty cheap.

10. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Yea, the white you are seeing is probably removable. The scratch itself is not white but whatever is in the scratch is buff-able. I'd recommend just using Mr. Clean Magic pads, but I'm not sure because I used it on my moms car and it left behind a dull look, but the scratch was gone.

11. IxStyleZ macrumors newbie

if i were you i would use a windshield fixer on it.

if you apply some pressure it may crack even more =/
    lol @ the 'lol' in the title though.

12. shane1598 macrumors member

my phone is naked too, but I don't have the stones to roll with keys and some change in the same pocket. But no scratches since 6/29/07

13. zep&mac92 macrumors newbie

Keying

At the apple store in pittsburgh, some employees actually key (the act of scratching a key to an object such as a car or in this case an iPhone) their iPhone to show customers how scratch resistant they are. I guess they were wrong.

14. hexagon macrumors member

No scratches yet. I keep my naked iPhone in my pocket with the screen facing my body.

15. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

just spend the 14 bucks on the Crystal support screens... i mean... it cost nothing compared to the cost of repairing a scratched naked screen... man these pictures hurt.. THE END

16. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

I should mention that the screen is now fine. I took the phone into the local apple store and they told me I could either spend $199 to repair the phone or return the phone since it was less than 2 weeks old and pay the restocking fee for a new one. I of course paid the restocking fee and got a new one which has now been screen protected and cased. My guess on how it got damaged was it rubbed against a glass bowl on my coffee table or it rubbed against my older powerbook that has silver paint that might have rubbed off. Either way the guys at the apple store were totally confused on how it happend and were very nice to offer the return to me.

17. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Ha! In that case maybe it isn't such a good idea for me to use my I
    iPod Touch as a coaster for my beer anymore. I did this last night to demonstrate to a friend that it was apparently scratch proof.

Kids, don't believe everything you read online.

18. PuppyLuv macrumors member

Interesting test.. but weren't you concerned that some of the liquid would drip off and in between the cracks of the screen... or were you intoxicated at the time :p

19. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Well just wanted to leave a final update

The story ended well. I sold my iPhone and bought another (week 39) for 50$ less than I sold mine for. Instead it was firmware 1.02! So I'm back in business with my wallet a little fatter!

20. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That pic scared the hell outta me...

so I've left the factory plastic "thing-a-majigger" on my iPhone until I can find the case I want tomorrow morning! Most of the $35 cases (leather and pleather) seem to be HOLDERS and not protective of the screen.:cool:

21. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I'm waiting for my vaja to arrive in the mail still. In the meantime, I'm also leaving the plastic on as I don't want to take a chance in scratching this one too lol. Tell me something though, do you find the plastic brings down the earspeaker volume or is it just me?

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I think it does...

'cause I was thinking about cutting a little hole around the speaker, and then I thought "why would I want to place an exacto knife so close to my iPhone???" I can put up with the limited hearing loss until tomorrow when I go Plastic Shield hunting and Case hunting. I've used Bluetooth the entire time I've had my iPhone, so I'm certain my opinion is that I don't have one!:cool:

23. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

All you need is the Power Support Crystal Film for the iPhone and you're good to go.

24. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good To Know...

but I was wondering about where to shop? I looked at the Apple Store and they seem to have more accessories than the AT&T folks, but their prices are also higher than Fry's Electronics, BestBuy, and Wal-Mart, by at least 25% on average. I know I can get 15% off at the AT&T Corporate store, but their selection is down to two different HOLSTERS without the screen protection and one that you can wear on your arm, (I'm wondering if the iPhone can handle the jarring, and jumping during a workout?).:cool: