Lol what a horrible blog post I ran into

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Stirolak123, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

2. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

That guy is a total idiot. He just loves microsoft and ballmer

3. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Lol the best reason he could come up with for not wanting an iPad is not being able to store 300gb of data on it?!? Clearly he hasn't even bothered to look at one of the many streaming apps available :p

4. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

5. makinao macrumors regular

Its been nine months since the iPad was first released. Where are the "lot of Android tablets coming out VERY soon" that Homes is talking about?

6. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Well, yes, the guy is a moron and not a journalist. But the article was written in April 2010. ( I feel this way because he had an anti-Apple slant from the getgo).

What he is trying to say about the storage is you can't access network files. I sure wish we could. Why do I need to take my iPad, hook it up to the 'puter, and fire up iTunes to drag a video on the iPad? My 10 year old PDA could play an mp3 file off the network. Why can't the iPad ? I should be able to open the video player, see the videos on the network, and start playing.

Please don't tell me about the 'streaming' apps. (No, go ahead and tell me about them.)

Just like I should be able to use Numbers to open an Excel file on the network. You know, one with MERGED CELLS!!!!!!

Other than that, I do enjoy my iPad.

7. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I used to think the iPad was a useless product, then I realized that I actually do have a use for one.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

9. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

10. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

11. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

How is it any different or better than splashtop remote desktop app?

12. baummer macrumors 6502a

13. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

True. When I saw April 2010, I lost any interest I could have mustered.

Wow, I hope SJ is medically ok and is able to return by the summer (or anytime actually!). I didn't know there people with that much venom toward Apple. I have a Windows desktop (haven't upgraded in 3-4 years), but I couldn't muster up that much vile for anything, let alone a company. That guy has "issues"!

14. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Ive never truly despised a company, I mean a few years ago I was pissed off at Fujitsu Siemens for sending me 3 broken laptops in a row,before I phoned them up demanding a refund and swearing I'll never buy a computer from them again,

Settled on a Toshiba laptop which still works to this day, gave it to my parents, but it sits unused since I gave them an iPad.

I had a bad experience with OS X from College when we had to use Mac Pro's for video editing and Photoshop, where they'd give the black message of death whenever they were asked to render anything. This put me off Macs, having never used them before.

I recently gave OS X another try with Snow Leopard, but simply found I prefer Windows 7.

15. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Not sure, but I have access to my shared folders and drives. It's simple, does what I want it to, and does it well.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You don't have to deal with desktop UI or time lag while waiting for desktop graphics to render on your iPad. It's just a straight-up "file browser" like the name says. If you have AirVideo, that's what the interface is like, except it shows you every file on the remote system, not just videos. Oh, and unlke AirVideo, SplashDesktop, etc, you don't need a helper app on the desktop, you just need the network ID or IP address of the desktop.

17. Mactard macrumors newbie

This talk of the Android tablets comnig is completely missing the point. They may have better spec on hardware and various gadget but what that will not have is design and userbility of the Apple design. The same is true for smartphone. Look at how many competitor there are and how many are anywher near iPhone in terms of practicality and userbility.

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

"The only thing that would be better in any way on an iPad than an iPod would be watching movies or consuming other visual content."

Well, considering most of what you do on an iPad is read and look at stuff, no duh.

I have wanted people using this knock to be forced to eat nothing but sauerkraut for a year. I'm sure most of them have a TV that is at least 27 inches and HD. I want to know why people would buy TVs so big when they could just get a pocket-sized TV that shows the same stuff.

There are obviously shortcomings to any device, but this kind of speculation was just everywhere last year. It had no basis in fact and thankfully has died down a bunch. I have an iPhone 4 yet I'm still waiting to buy an iPad 2. It's a lot harder to read on an iPhone once you have tried it on an iPad. The extra screen real estate allows a lot of neat other features to be added to iPhone apps. One that blew me away was Target making its weekly ad available on its iPad app. That was just awesome for someone who shops there all of the time.

19. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

While I am not familiar with splash top, I can tell you that it simply displays your shared folders and files, no matter who is logged on to the computer. Your media files and documents open locally on your iPad not the computer. It is invisible to anyone using the computer. I had tried a remote app on our now retired XP machine, and it would boot the current user off while you accessed the machine, and the files were ran on the remote machine. It wasn't pretty.

20. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Ah ja. Schon klar.

And how exactly do you stream your own content to your iPad when your computer is at home and you took your iPad with you to work or on a four weeks business travel and you do not have a Gigabit/s Internet pipe at your house and a fast enough Internet connection wherever you might have gone with your Pad?

Most of you guys probably never tried to use your iPads outside your living rooms or bed rooms, and I'm pretty sure that most of you never tried to use it for some real work for a couple of hours every day.

Whenever I see an iPad in an office, it usually lies switched off next to a notebook and the person who owns the iPad is typing on the notebook. Only in meetings, the iPad is being turned on for a few minutes, you see the owner doing a few of the typical swipe gestures to look impressive and then the thing is turned off again. And after a few days, the people usually don't even bring their iPads to the office anymore. The show effect is gone and the iPad owners discovered that they cannot do anything useful with the thing at work.

So the blog post stated nothing but the truth about the iPad and the fact that it is nothing but a big iPod Touch (same technology, same software, just more screen real estate and more weight) with rather limited real world use scenarios. That's hardly "magical and revolutionary". But it's a nice comic book reader and good for electronic board games.

21. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

The members of the Church of Apple are in desperate need of psychiatric help. People like this really make me want to throw away - not even sell - all my Apple stuff.

22. Mactard macrumors newbie

To be fair there is a lot of good humor on the site and its nothing when you look at the amount of Apple hatred and lies which are found on the interenet.

23. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Gone for a month, gone for two days, it doesn't matter. I have my laptop, shut off, in it's bag. If I need to I'll fire it up. Not trying to replace laptop or desktop. All of the stuff I NEED is on Drop Box and thumb drives. I know how to manage data on my iPad and iPod Nano, whether for business or pleasure.

24. alamein macrumors member

25. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Eh, the church of crapple can whine all they want, Windows 7 runs a magnitude better on my iMac than OS X does and, most likely, ever will and with considerably more functionality. Apple's hardware is second to none. Their systems, on the other hand, are just barely better than nothing.