Lollipop 5.1 Update has ruined my Moto X

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
2,286
23
Michigan
Hello everyone. I just updated my Moto X 2013 to 5.1 via OTA and I am regretting that decision dearly.

1st, SMS messages are now taking an eternity to send and receive. As in, I'm receiving messages 10-30 minutes after they are sent. Signal is strong so it isn't that. Messages are also coming back as not sent.

2nd, no more LTE. I'm stuck on HSPA now for whatever reason. Had 5 bars of LTE before the updated.

3rd. This thing is now dog slow. It was very snappy before the update and had zero complaints about performance.

4th. Battery life is even more dreadful than it was before the update and the phone is running extremely warm.

Anyone know how I can resolve any of these issues? It's been quite infuriating. Also, I strongly warn against anyone with this phone updating. 4.4.4 Kitkat was rock solid, 5.1 so far has been a mess.
 

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
13,262
7,298
Did you try resetting the device after you updated? It could just be a bad OTA update, something might have messed up during it.
 

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
2,286
23
Michigan
Did you try resetting the device after you updated? It could just be a bad OTA update, something might have messed up during it.
I'd prefer not to do that until every other option has been exhausted. I use this for both work and personal and I have lots of apps, settings (mostly this) and data that would be a pain to restore.
 

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
13,262
7,298
I don't know how the Moto X works. Is it possible to side load the old radio and see if that fixes the LTE issue? I could do that with my Nexus 6. That could fix the battery problem a well, if the radio is taking up too much power. Also, what things are taking up battery? Maybe we can figure out if a rogue app isn't working well, which could also be impacting performance.
 

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
2,286
23
Michigan
I don't know how the Moto X works. Is it possible to side load the old radio and see if that fixes the LTE issue? I could do that with my Nexus 6. That could fix the battery problem a well, if the radio is taking up too much power. Also, what things are taking up battery? Maybe we can figure out if a rogue app isn't working well, which could also be impacting performance.
Ive been considering the possibility of a radio issue as well. It would explain the SMS, LTE and possibly battery life issue.
 

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
2,286
23
Michigan
Well, after LOTS of digging, I typed in the USSD code *#*#4636#*#* into the dialer which pulls up a testing menu that provides all sorts of extremely granular controls. I noticed my SMSC field was blank which was strange. So I dug around for my carriers SMSC number and inputted that and viola, everything SEEMS to be working again. We shall see, I guess the update erased the number. Might be some sort of bug. I don't like to hack or root yet somehow I managed to track down such a obscure issue. Sometimes I surprise myself. Guess the system wipe was sorta unnecessary.

What a great day to spend 3 hours of my only day off.

Thanks for the help anyone.
 

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
5,638
1,014
East Central Florida
Wow that is surely strange, :(

I would wager you are right in saying the factory reset ended up being unnecessary. (Not that it's ever a bad thing)

People were posting positive experiences in the android police thread so far
 

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
1,186
566
Try a full firmware flash using mfastboot.exe - usually works. Firmware ZIPs are listed on XDA.
 

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
2,286
23
Michigan
Wow that is surely strange, :(

I would wager you are right in saying the factory reset ended up being unnecessary. (Not that it's ever a bad thing)

People were posting positive experiences in the android police thread so far
Indeed it was very strange. Aside from those initial issues, I'm liking the update so far.
 
  • Like
Reactions: gotluck and MRU

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
5,443
383
Las Vegas, NV
Well, after LOTS of digging, I typed in the USSD code *#*#4636#*#* into the dialer which pulls up a testing menu that provides all sorts of extremely granular controls. I noticed my SMSC field was blank which was strange. So I dug around for my carriers SMSC number and inputted that and viola, everything SEEMS to be working again. We shall see, I guess the update erased the number. Might be some sort of bug. I don't like to hack or root yet somehow I managed to track down such a obscure issue. Sometimes I surprise myself. Guess the system wipe was sorta unnecessary.

What a great day to spend 3 hours of my only day off.

Thanks for the help anyone.
Interesting. When i type that code in my dialer it doesnt do anything.