Lollipop 5.1 Update has ruined my Moto X

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by TacticalDesire, Jun 20, 2015.

1. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Hello everyone. I just updated my Moto X 2013 to 5.1 via OTA and I am regretting that decision dearly.

1st, SMS messages are now taking an eternity to send and receive. As in, I'm receiving messages 10-30 minutes after they are sent. Signal is strong so it isn't that. Messages are also coming back as not sent.

2nd, no more LTE. I'm stuck on HSPA now for whatever reason. Had 5 bars of LTE before the updated.

3rd. This thing is now dog slow. It was very snappy before the update and had zero complaints about performance.

4th. Battery life is even more dreadful than it was before the update and the phone is running extremely warm.

Anyone know how I can resolve any of these issues? It's been quite infuriating. Also, I strongly warn against anyone with this phone updating. 4.4.4 Kitkat was rock solid, 5.1 so far has been a mess.

2. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Did you try resetting the device after you updated? It could just be a bad OTA update, something might have messed up during it.

3. TacticalDesire thread starter macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I'd prefer not to do that until every other option has been exhausted. I use this for both work and personal and I have lots of apps, settings (mostly this) and data that would be a pain to restore.

4. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I don't know how the Moto X works. Is it possible to side load the old radio and see if that fixes the LTE issue? I could do that with my Nexus 6. That could fix the battery problem a well, if the radio is taking up too much power. Also, what things are taking up battery? Maybe we can figure out if a rogue app isn't working well, which could also be impacting performance.

5. TacticalDesire thread starter macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Ive been considering the possibility of a radio issue as well. It would explain the SMS, LTE and possibly battery life issue.

6. TacticalDesire thread starter macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Well, I just said screw it and reset it. We'll see if that fixes things.

Edit: It didn't

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Feck! :( Have you tried wiping 'cache partition' in recovery ?

8. TacticalDesire thread starter macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Well, LTE is working but all SMS messages still fail to send

9. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Have you checked your APN settings?

10. TacticalDesire thread starter macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Yeah, checked those, tried new ones. Nothing is working.

11. TacticalDesire thread starter macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Well, after LOTS of digging, I typed in the USSD code *#*#4636#*#* into the dialer which pulls up a testing menu that provides all sorts of extremely granular controls. I noticed my SMSC field was blank which was strange. So I dug around for my carriers SMSC number and inputted that and viola, everything SEEMS to be working again. We shall see, I guess the update erased the number. Might be some sort of bug. I don't like to hack or root yet somehow I managed to track down such a obscure issue. Sometimes I surprise myself. Guess the system wipe was sorta unnecessary.

What a great day to spend 3 hours of my only day off.

Thanks for the help anyone.

12. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Wow that is surely strange, :(

I would wager you are right in saying the factory reset ended up being unnecessary. (Not that it's ever a bad thing)

People were posting positive experiences in the android police thread so far

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thank heavens you sorted it but yeah that's very perculiar indeedy

14. uid15 Suspended

uid15

Try a full firmware flash using mfastboot.exe - usually works. Firmware ZIPs are listed on XDA.

15. TacticalDesire thread starter macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Indeed it was very strange. Aside from those initial issues, I'm liking the update so far.

16. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Interesting. When i type that code in my dialer it doesnt do anything.