Lollipop now the most popular version: Pathetic

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by spinedoc77, Mar 9, 2016.

1. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2500545,00.asp

Wow Lollipop now has 36.1% of android devices 16 months after release!!!! Marshmallow has 2.1% of android devices after about 4 1/2 months.

Seriously, is anyone else disgusted at this? I'm at the absolute lowest spot on the totem pole having a Samsung variant on AT&T, I don't think any carrier is slower than AT&T, and I don't think any oem is slower than Samsung. Google needs to get a set of balls and start taking control of their OS. I'm hoping if they truly do manufacture the next google phone in-house that it's ultra successful, but it will be far from enough.

2. ceva321 macrumors 6502

ceva321

I have a Note5 (Verizon) we just got the update last week to 6.0.1 Marshmallow...months after a co-worker got his on his Nexus device.

I'm with you wake up Google!!!!!

3. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

4. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Arghhh!! I didn't know Verizon got it, congrats.

5. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I'm with you. And with what we're seeing with android n, looks like nexus might be the way to go. The carriers and oems need to wake up.

6. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

If OEMs don't sort this out, I'll likely move to the iPhone. Apple have a MAJOR advantage here.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Waiting for the inevitable, someone defending this as somehow better ....

8. Chuck Kostalnick macrumors demi-god

Chuck Kostalnick

Yeah, one of my development devices just got 6.0.1 this week. It's insane how slow these rollouts are!

9. Tig Bitties, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016

Tig Bitties macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

I have a Samsung flagship device the Note 5, I am on Lollipop still, which was released in November 2014.

And now Android N beta is out, which is two generations ahead of what my supposed "flagship" phone is running.

WTF Samsung ? Makes me seriously question buying the S7 Edge now or Note 6 in August. Samsung us telling us, these phones are throw away devices less than a year later. They make a new generation S or Note, and practically give them away a month after release, and they maybe might then get around to updating last year's flagships, but without the same Touchwiz just the Android version, but not all the same TW features are the same.

And if you're on ATT I scratch my head and ask why ? ATT is the Nazi big brother worst carrier on the planet. Just on principle alone I left them last year. I thought Verizon was bad, nope not anymore, ATT took the spot a couple years ago. Locked bootloaders, crappy updates, insane bloat apps forced into phones. Can't even frigging root ATT phones anymore. Screw them. There are much better options today.

And Samsung + ATT ? LOL you're F'd.

10. Robstevo macrumors 6502

11. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Biggest problem android has imo

Makes it hard for me to consider anything but nexus

12. Savor Suspended

Savor

I agree with the OP. An iPad 2 from early 2011 can get updated up to iOS9 going through six different iOS versions starting with iOS4. A Nexus or Android One can't go beyond being updated18 months sometimes.

But will I move back to iOS because of it? Hell no. I said in another thread that many companies cycle in THREES. And not every update is worth it anyway. I thought iOS5 was much better than iOS6.

Good - Better - Best

Holo Design era
    Good - Ice Cream Sandwich
    Better - Jelly Bean
    Best - KitKat

Good - Lollipop
    Better - Marshmallow
    Best - Android N

I agree with everything with what the OP is trying to point out with Android updates. But personally, I wouldn't move back to iOS for it since each OS is mature and stable enough at its current point while not every firmware is worth updating to.

13. John Mcgregor Suspended

John Mcgregor

Pay 600 for a device and good luck with software support.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I agree that they need to find a way to streamline updates. But are updates as soon as a new OS version is released that serious?

Incremental security and bug updates have been pretty quick recently. That's all I'm truly concerned about.

15. billy the fish Suspended

So why did you then. . Or have you stopped pretending to be a Samsung owner?

16. ceva321 macrumors 6502

ceva321

Maybe it was his first Samsung device?

17. jamezr, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016

jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

So which device email do you have again? In the Galaxy S6 thread you said you have a international S6. What international model number do you have? Care to past a screen shot of it with this forum open to this thread? Like this one from my galaxy S7. Oh and a shot of your model number like this would help
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. John Mcgregor Suspended

John Mcgregor

It is my first android device.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 10, 2016 ---
    I got a good deal on it, but there are many people that did pay that crazy price. Just like in the S7 thread.

19. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

I feel you, man.. I'm strongly considering of getting the 6p and just forgetting about Samsung. But, I value a good shooter and Samsung devices have that. Now, granted, I haven't used a 6p but the camera just seems okay; not sure if it's enough to drop samsung, yet.

20. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

With android N evening the playing field a bit by finally adopting the useful features from TouchWiz, there's even more reason to look to nexus devices, especially if you feel immediate updates are a priority.

It's just up to Google and their OEM partner to bring forth a compelling device to challenge Samsung's hardware.

21. apolloa, Mar 10, 2016

apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Carriers??? Man I'm still waiting for my non cellular Xperia Tablet to get Marshmallow, Sony have been testing it for months, my Shield TV I only got 3 weeks ago has already been updated to Marshmallow!

22. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Lol, I got an AT&T update this morning and I got all excited. Just security updates, no MM yet.

23. epicrayban, Mar 10, 2016

epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

That's the one thing that the carriers are pushing out fairly well. The security updates. I've gotten them on Tmobile, too.

--- Post Merged, Mar 10, 2016 ---
    Between the security updates, the Google updates of their core apps through the Play Store, the already feature-rich TW, and my being on Tmobile where the bloat is little to none, I'm okay on this front. My S6 on Tmobile should be getting Marshmallow almost a year out from the date of the S6's release. I think that's reasonable. It seems late to us because Google's software releases are on a different timetable.

Still, I'm on the same side as most of you. The less the carriers hinder with software and updates, the better. And it's time for Samsung to step up, too.

Timely article: http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/10/1...rrier-crapware-revenue-trick-samsung-software

24. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

I agree. My £600 S6 Edge+ not showing any signs of improvement. It's persuading me to go for an iPhone, Nexus or an HTC next round.

25. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

You have a Nexus 6P still, right? Feel free to enjoy your TW features on whatever Samsung device you own and update to the latest software using a Nexus 6P? I think you can enjoy both worlds.