Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'm wondering out of curiosity if anyone has a G4-upgraded Lombard PowerBook.

I recently bought a complete notebook(it cost me a pretty penny) that came with a PowerLogix "Blue Chip" 500mhz G4 already installed. That was the sole reason why I bought the computer, as it was the first Lombard G4 upgrade I've seen.

I'm aware of Pismo upgrades, and have one myself.

My concern, however, is over the ability for the Lombard to handle the heat of a G4 that fast. The Pismo has a nice heatsink set-up that clamps to the CPU die and runs a heat pipe over to the fan in the side. The Lombard-like the predecessor Wallstreet series and the Clamshells-uses the sheet metal cover over the processor card and a lot of the other stuff under the top part of the keyboard as the only heatsink. A big wad of thermal padding transmits heat.

My computer seems to run VERY hot. As is widely known. G4 clock-for-clock run hotter than G3s, and this processor is faster than any stock Lombard processor. As far as I know, it's also the fastest Lombard upgrade offered.

I would assume that the makers would have thought this out, but mine is getting hot enough to sometimes cause problems. I've been messing with OS installs, and sometimes I will get a hard lock-up either during OS X booting or in OS 9 after I've been messing with OS X. I calling it a hard lock-up because the cursor won't move-something that strikes me as thermal shut-down. The metal plate over the heatsink gets plenty hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch, and I can't see that even running the fan full blast changes the temperatures.

Has anyone else played with these, and if so have run into thermal issues?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
There must be some articles on that on XLR8yourmac etc. Sadly the only upgrade I have is a PowerLogix Blue Chip for a Wallstreet and that arrived DOA. I have never managed to get it to work on any of mine.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
There must be some articles on that on XLR8yourmac etc. Sadly the only upgrade I have is a PowerLogix Blue Chip for a Wallstreet and that arrived DOA. I have never managed to get it to work on any of mine.

did you ever try baking the card? @bunnspecial managed to fix a bad Pismo G4 upgrade that way (some of the CPU BGA balls had broken away from the pads causing issues with the L2 cache) make sure to bake it Die side facing up. btw what does the card currently do in a system?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
did you ever try baking the card? @bunnspecial managed to fix a bad Pismo G4 upgrade that way (some of the CPU BGA balls had broken away from the pads causing issues with the L2 cache) make sure to bake it Die side facing up. btw what does the card currently do in a system?
It does nothing. No chime, zippo. Tried in several Wallstreets and PDQs.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK

(cant remember if Wallstreets have fans or not) but if it does that turn on or does the machine act like its completely without power? other then baking it dont have much else to say sadly. would be fun to run Leopard on a Wallstreet or even a mainstreet (Leopard on passive matrix aught to be fun esp with the dock magnification )

MikeatOSX

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2007
Austria
BTW: My used Sonnet processor card came from a 266 MHz Wallstreet II and only worked in my 266 MHz Wallstreet II, not in my Wallstreet I 250 MHz nor in my Wallstreet II 233 and 300 MHz.
The card was "married" with the PowerBook during the first installation.
Edit:
Additional bad news: some years ago somebody asked the producer of the card if there was any software to undo this "marriage".
The answer was: yes, but this software was trashed years ago....

Last edited:

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
I own a Wallstreet with a Sonnet Crescendo/WS G4/500 processor card.
It runs hot on the bottom so I clued higher feets on it, but that's all. No more problems at all.
https://www.mediafire.com/view/a61aci08r86nkiy
And the processor card is living 15 years or more. :)
BTW: I installed Mac OS Server 1.2 (Rhapsody) on one partition.
https://www.mediafire.com/view/bnw2xm44hcjbct6

I did manage to hack OS X Server 1.2V3 onto my dual USB iBook G3 heh as well as my flower power iMac

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Thanks guys.

With some of my other OS X problems, I'm wondering if I'm running into some other OS X peculiarities due to RAM issues. I know I was running in circles with my 8600 until I broke down and bought 8 matching sticks(nearly $100 for 1gb). I didn't look too closely last night when I had the CPU out, but I think it had Hynix branded 256mb sticks. They were high density, however, although LD256s in laptop sizes aren't that common. I do have a single good stick of the extra large 256mb sticks meant for these PowerBooks. I might pull it down to just this.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
BTW: My used Sonnet processor card came from a 266 MHz Wallstreet II and only worked in my 266 MHz Wallstreet II, not in my Wallstreet I 250 MHz nor in my Wallstreet II 233 and 300 MHz.
The card was "married" with the PowerBook during the first installation.
I have a sneaking suspicion that something similar is going on. Having said that, the Blue Chips do not require any firmware updates or drivers to get going but without any more details about them online I am stumped. From what I know, the card was pulled from a working system.

jpoliti

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
I have a sneaking suspicion that something similar is going on. Having said that, the Blue Chips do not require any firmware updates or drivers to get going but without any more details about them online I am stumped. From what I know, the card was pulled from a working system.

I just recently purchased a Lombard with the PowerLogix G4 upgrade also. I have an installation cd with drivers/updates for the PowerLogix G4 for the Wallstreet Powerbook and I assume that there would be similar for the Lombard upgrade. The drivers are not compatible. Is there a download available for drivers/updates for the Lombard card? Does OWC carry downloads for this?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Just to follow up a bit, I threw a new 7200 rpm 60gb drive in the computer.

I did manage to get it booting reliably and running Tiger with Xpostfacto.

Unfortunately, Leopard is eluding me. I'm using the @LightBulbFun "special" Leopard install that works flawlessly on a G4 upgraded B&W or beige, but it KPs very early in the boot process on the Lombard. I can't find anything about this having been done, and although Lombard upgrades aren't that common I can't believe I'm the only one to have tried it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.