London iPhone users, or anyone knowledgable about international use

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bob Loblaw, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Bob Loblaw macrumors regular

Bob Loblaw

I'm coming to London in November (not sure when yet though, I want to go sooner, but I also want to wait until the end of November to catch the Chelsea-Arsenal match if it's not really expensive and impossible to get tickets too, though it probably is) and I'm wondering about using my iPhone there. I'm from the US for the record. Is there an O2 near Heathrow? Whether there is or not, would I be able to and would it be feasible to get a SIM card there and do pay as you go? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. sananda macrumors 68020

is your iphone unlocked? if so, you can buy an 02 pay and go sim card (or any other pay and go sim) from many newsagents.

3. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Hi Bob, how's Tobias these days? :) I miss him.

I don't think you'll have any luck using your US iPhone over here in the UK. My husband had bought an AT&T iPhone whilst in the States at the end of last year. We tried to put an O2 PAYG SIM in it this weekend thinking "great, now that O2 is permitting PAYG SIMs, we can use it". Jumped through the hoops, including getting settings sent to the SIM over the network, and it still says "cannot be used with this SIM" in iTunes.

It seems almost all of the iPhone carriers around the world lock the phone to their carrier. So it looks like you'd have to go down the unlocking route. It's very annoying, and until Apple sort this kind of thing out (roaming across authorised carriers via a SIM swap) then people will still want to unlock their iPhones. Let's hope the mouse continues to win until then.

4. Bob Loblaw thread starter macrumors regular

Bob Loblaw

Ok, thanks. I knew about the unlocking thing, but I thought it would be ok to use on another certified carrier. I'll just be phone-less for a couple days, which is absolutely fine. I was just gonna need it possibly to get in touch with my friend that lives there if I go off and do things on my own.

5. RobTuck macrumors regular

Sort this kind of thing out?? Are you real?

What youre asking for is an unlocked iPhone.

What you REALLY want is for carriers to stop charging each other extortionate amounts for their users roaming.

6. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Hmm, no. I'm saying I want to be able to put an AT&T SIM card into my UK iPhone whenever I visit the States and use the authorised US carrier, just like I can with any other phone on the market. I can assure you I'm real too. ;)

P.S. Bob, you could always turn off international roaming on your phone, and use it in neutered form. Install the free Truphone app, and then you can make calls to the UK and to the US for 3p/min. Doesn't help with receiving calls though...

7. RobTuck macrumors regular

sibruk, whats then to stop someone from buying a UK iPhone and selling it to someone in the US for them to use an AT&T SIM in?

To the OP, you might want to check ebay for a basic cheap unlocked handset specifically for your visit. You'll be able to get a pay-as-you-go SIM card (for most UK networks) at various shops for about £2 to £3. Especially in London.

8. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Maybe the fact there's a UK contract being paid for every month! I don't have a problem with them roping you into a local contract before you leave the store, that stops what you're talking about from happening. I'm literally talking about swapping your SIM out occasionally for the odd holiday here and there. You can't say that doesn't make sense! (Sorry, double negative)

9. RobTuck macrumors regular

Thats really none of Apples concern though. Your issue is with O2. You want to buy a foreign SIM because your home SIM is too expensive to use on the foreign network, yes? buying a foreign SIM to put in your phone is a workaround, not a fix. The correct solution would be to just use your home SIM on the foreign network at home rates, or at the very least, foreign network rates (just as a foreign PAYG SIM would cost you).

10. sibruk macrumors 6502a

I don't agree, and I can't see why you would take the corporate side of the argument as opposed to the "what's right for the consumer" side. You should be able to walk into an "iPhone Country" and have the same experience wherever you are. I don't mind changing over the SIM, and I think most people would if there was an option to do so. You are never going to get the same rate roaming internationally as you would on your home network.

Apple's concern seems to be stopping people from unlocking their phones. And Apple need to ask themselves "why are people unlocking their phones?". Exorbitant roaming rates is one of the reasons. They could be "revolutionising" the market in this respect, especially since they aren't getting any kickback now from the network usage.

It's unlock, or use VoIP alternatives for the time being. I'm really not talking about ways of getting around a monthly subscription, it's purely about not being ripped off when you're abroad.