London Marathon

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iBlue, Apr 16, 2012.

1. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

So, are any of you participating?

I'm not but I get a great view of it from my flat and I love watching. Hopefully the weather isn't a total bastard. It was beautiful last year.

Lets see if this thread earns the sounds of crickets or the pitter patter of ambitious feet. :D

2. iGav macrumors G3

Blue, it's not the greatest ride in London, but you could do worse than hire a couple of Brompton's and ride the course one Sunday morning, did it years ago and it was great fun, we ended up stopping at landmark pubs along the way, where we each had to sink a local house brew, things were getting sketchy by Greenwich Village and I don't remember all that much after Tower Bridge as we increased the frequency of the pub visits to counter the chafing and numbing of the old conkers, though I do know it probably would've been quicker to walk it, wicked fun… especially running the last 100/50/10 metres down The Mall carrying our folded up Brompton's. :D

3. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

^ Haha! :D

I'll happily walk for miles but I have zero interest in cycling on london streets. It just freaks me out too much. :eek: Roads I don't have to share with cars, sure, but those are few and far between.

4. iGav macrumors G3

Understandable, but I really think you'd be okay riding on a Sunday morning, Brompton's are ace because they're so small, charming & disarming that you can easily get away with riding them on pavements. You should think about it. ;)

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Nice thread; I've enjoyed watching (not participating in) the Dublin Marathon.

Great to have a 'Room with a View' when something like this comes along. I assume your flat is in central London; I love living in a city centre.

Fantastic way to do the marathon - I'm impressed and envious. That must have been great fun - and I like the touch of added class by the consumption of artisan beers. Bravo - cool. :D

6. rasmusonline macrumors regular

I'll miss it, will be just three days later in the cited city.

Maybe it's good that I miss it because otherwise I would need to bother with even more diversion of the horrible TFL. :D

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I'm not fit enough this year, most I've done in past 12mo were two half marathons and a few hikes. Past few months I did a few jogs..so lazy and unmotivated. Good luck to to anyone running it this year though!

8. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

It was good fun watching and the weather was nice for most of the day. It never ceases to amaze me how fast some people are. I think I enjoy watching the costumes more than anything else though. There were the usual legends, such as the Rhinos and those in the full Army gear, including heavy backpacks. There was a fireman with his tank on as well. A woman wearing a wedding dress came by grinning the whole way and finished with a very respectable time. But I think these were my favourites:

BenPaulGherkin.jpg

Stilts.jpg

Imagine going 26 miles on stilts! :eek:

9. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Worked throughout this year sadly but discovering that our policy for over-heating runners is to do serial monitoring of temperatures with a rectal thermometer is enough to convince me never to do it!

We also stock-piled crisps for the ones with low sodium!

10. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Hey Blue! - Yeah, I did the London Marathon this year!
    Those Dome guys really had some spirit!

It was my first ever marathon, and until I started training for it, I hadn't ever run further than 1 mile! - I managed to get round the course in 5:59.50!

An absolutely amazing day! I was crying at the end! haha!

Your photos look awesome! Where was you situated? (What milage?)

11. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah even though there are loads of cyclists in London now I would say I don't think authorities have really done much to improve things. It can be very scary.

12. pills macrumors newbie

I had never participated in Marathon, but it’s fun and exciting to see others running on London streets. They are all good players.

13. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

Congratulations! :) I am situated on the Isle of Dogs.

14. sim667 macrumors 65816

They've done nothing at all.

I love cycling in london though.

15. Eldiablojoe, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  16. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Hah, yeah, except add a bit of paint and then claim they've made things safer.