long backup times resolved

Discussion in 'iPad' started by markosb, Jul 15, 2010.

1. markosb macrumors 6502

markosb

When I first bought my iPad on opening day, I brought it home and hooked it up to my computer to let it sync. I waited for over 2 hours while it was in backup mode, which at the time was barely started... so I canceled the backup and let it sync. I had no apps on it, not data entered it was a fresh device.

Over the time since then I just canceled backup, I once let it sit for more than 18 hours and it was about 75% done. I searched to find help, my ipod touch backs up pretty quickly. I was searching today trying to fix this problem so I could update the firmware without losing important data. One of the posters said to another to check to see if they had enough hard drive space. I know one of my drives was getting a little low, so I transferred the download folder to another drive that had more space. Now the drive has more than enough space.

I hooked up my ipad expecting it to choke, its been less than 30 min and its past half way done, I expect it to take a little longer due to all the data I have on it.

I thought I'd post my findings for those who are still having the long backup problem. I tried software to completely skip backup but that doesn't help if something happens to the ipad. It looks like I am on my way to completing my first backup with this thing.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I have over 1TB free space. I am going on 2 hours and am about 80% done. This is Apple's revenge over Windows.... :mad: