long boot times on new 27" imac i7

JAPears

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
I've noticed that my new imac takes considerably more time to boot than what my 2010 macbook pro does, as in, it seems to hang on a white screen for 40 seconds before the apple appears on the boot screen, is this normal? everything seems to be working alright, have also noticed that the drive seems to be writing alot of the time, theres the distinct 'ticking' sound which happens every few seconds.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I've noticed that my new imac takes considerably more time to boot than what my 2010 macbook pro does, as in, it seems to hang on a white screen for 40 seconds before the apple appears on the boot screen, is this normal? everything seems to be working alright, have also noticed that the drive seems to be writing alot of the time, theres the distinct 'ticking' sound which happens every few seconds.
Go into System Preferences, - > Startup Disk, and then pick the Macintosh HD as your startup disk. Problem solved. :)

JAPears

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Go into System Preferences, - > Startup Disk, and then pick the Macintosh HD as your startup disk. Problem solved. :)
that totally worked, thanks a lot, not sure what difference it made, but it sure made the difference in boot times ;)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
that totally worked, thanks a lot, not sure what difference it made, but it sure made the difference in boot times ;)
No probs. For some reason it's not set as your hard drive by default, so the system spends a bit trying to figure out what to boot off. Silly, really. Glad it sorted you out. :)

JAPears

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
hard drive still has a bit of a rumbling ticking, but as i understand thats normal for a seagate drive, and nothing in comparison to the gaming rig i've came from