long boot times on new 27" imac i7

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JAPears, Aug 7, 2010.

1. JAPears macrumors member

I've noticed that my new imac takes considerably more time to boot than what my 2010 macbook pro does, as in, it seems to hang on a white screen for 40 seconds before the apple appears on the boot screen, is this normal? everything seems to be working alright, have also noticed that the drive seems to be writing alot of the time, theres the distinct 'ticking' sound which happens every few seconds.

2. celticpride678

Start by repairing your disk permissions and resetting the PRAM. It could be a failing hard drive.

3. WilliamG macrumors 604

Go into System Preferences, - > Startup Disk, and then pick the Macintosh HD as your startup disk. Problem solved. :)

4. JAPears thread starter macrumors member

that totally worked, thanks a lot, not sure what difference it made, but it sure made the difference in boot times ;)

5. WilliamG macrumors 604

No probs. For some reason it's not set as your hard drive by default, so the system spends a bit trying to figure out what to boot off. Silly, really. Glad it sorted you out. :)

6. JAPears thread starter macrumors member

hard drive still has a bit of a rumbling ticking, but as i understand thats normal for a seagate drive, and nothing in comparison to the gaming rig i've came from

7. WilliamG macrumors 604

Yep. I swapped my Seagate out for an SSD. Heaven.