Long Boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ajay96, Nov 23, 2016.

1. ajay96 macrumors 6502

So this is on a 2015 Retina MacBook Pro..

After I press the power button to turn on my Mac, I hear the boot chime, but then it just sits at a black screen for a couple of minutes before the apple logo appears. I tried holding down Alt/Option to see if I can manually select my HD, but that didn't work either. I only have macOS on here, and I even tried to reinstall Sierra to see if that would fix it, but nope. Could this be a hardware issue?

2. ajay96 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

4. dwig macrumors 6502

5. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

In my experience it is usually a problem with the hardware. Number one culprit is either a disk with hard to read sectors, or some external hardware slowing the system down. If you have anything connected, unplug it all. If there is nothing connected externally, then test the boot disk first for read errors. If all of the above passes, then it is time to check the memory. Doing a hardware diagnostic test can also reveal if there is a problem with any component.

6. ajay96 thread starter macrumors 6502

I ran the Apple Diagnostics, and there were no issues found. I did have a flash drive plugged in, but even after unplugging it, it would stick at the blank screen.

7. mysteryGenius macrumors member

mysteryGenius

-Unplug everything.
    -Reset NVRAM.
    -Shutdown.
    -Power on holding ALT key to go to Bootpicker
    -In bootpicker use arrow keys to highlight your startup disk (typically Macintosh HD)
    -Hold down CTRL key and press Return.

That should fix it.

On boot, the blank screen before the Apple logo is where the machine searches for a bootable volume. The process above tells EFI where to look.

8. ajay96 thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like this fixed it!

Thanks everyone for the help. :)

9. mysteryGenius macrumors member

mysteryGenius

Cool. You're welcome.