Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EnchantedPlague

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
So my current plan for my iPhone is as follows:

250 anytime minutes
Unlimited Incoming/Evening/Weekends (E/W at 7pm)
100 long distance minutes
2500 text
Caller ID
Voicemail
6GB data

For no extra cost, I could change it to:

Unlimited Incoming/Outgoing
Unlimited text
Caller ID
Voicemail
6GB data

What do you guys think, keep my plan or change it (both are $55 a month)?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

250 anytime minutes
2500 text
Caller ID
Voicemail
6GB data

Unlimited text
Caller ID
Voicemail
6GB data

Well how often do you use long distance calling? For the same price your getting unlimited minutes and unlimited texting. I don't really use minutes I text more but it seems to be the better deal if you are a talker and even a heavy texted.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Are you Canadian? as this seems to be a very Canadian-sounding plan. If you're with Rogers, I'd get the 1000 Canadian LD minutes, keep 2500 SMS and see if they'll budge and give you the 1000LD for free? As your plan is basically what I have, only $5 cheaper (and with the 1000LD minutes)

If not, do you generally get close to your 2500 SMS limit every month? Make many long distance calls? I would personally stay with original plan depending on usage - as for me I never go over daytime minutes ever, but unlimited local incoming/outgoing is still really sweet.

EnchantedPlague

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Are you Canadian? as this seems to be a very Canadian-sounding plan. If you're with Rogers, I'd get the 1000 Canadian LD minutes, keep 2500 SMS and see if they'll budge and give you the 1000LD for free? As your plan is basically what I have, only $5 cheaper (and with the 1000LD minutes)

If not, do you generally get close to your 2500 SMS limit every month? Make many long distance calls? I would personally stay with original plan depending on usage - as for me I never go over daytime minutes ever, but unlimited local incoming/outgoing is still really sweet.

Haha yea it is a Canadian plan, with Fido. I usually do reach the 2500 texts every month. I was also thinking that since skype works with the iPhone (and i subscribe to the phone service) I could just use that for long distance.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011

250 anytime minutes
2500 text
Caller ID
Voicemail
6GB data

Unlimited text
Caller ID
Voicemail
6GB data

I would say to go with the second plan. 100 minutes isn't a lot for long distance. I have Bell as a landline and they have a special service (I forgot the code for long distance but you can search it online) and they charge $0.03 a minute. For 100 minutes it would only cost you $3 and you only get charged if you actually use the minutes. If not it doesn't cost you anything. Not sure if you have Bell for a landline, or at all for that matter, but if you do.. This could be one thing that you could think about while making your decision.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Haha yea it is a Canadian plan, with Fido. I usually do reach the 2500 texts every month. I was also thinking that since skype works with the iPhone (and i subscribe to the phone service) I could just use that for long distance.

Skype could be a good idea for just long distance, if so, get the unlimited local! You can always bug Fido's retentions/cancellations department and bs like how Wind/Mobilicity are offering much more (if you're in their coverage area).

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Whoa, are you serious? The last time I worried about paying "long distance" was almost 10 years ago in college, I don't even think that concept really exists in the US anymore.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
Whoa, are you serious? The last time I worried about paying "long distance" was almost 10 years ago in college, I don't even think that concept really exists in the US anymore.

And he's not from the US.. Very helpful post.....

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon

My appologies for my (apparent) countryman(?) - but I think Interstella there was just expressing shock at a cell phone plan with "Long Distance" on it. In the USA it's been several years, i think, since cellphone minutes became both local & National long distance minutes for us. Still have to pay International Long Distance.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto

the US is the only country in the world.. duh :rolleyes:

OP, speak with retentions (cancellation department) and tell them you'd like to cancel and go somewhere else. they will be more inclined to give you what you want at a reasonable price if you work with them. good luck.

anonymous6237

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
Plano, TX
I know seriously... Some American's are so full of it. Nothing else exists but where they live. I'll bet half of them don't even know where Canada is.

Of course we do. It's our hat. We could never forget that

bustedtees.e94c1a298df754d742c03685bbfdb252.gif

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
:)
My appologies for my (apparent) countryman(?) - but I think Interstella there was just expressing shock at a cell phone plan with "Long Distance" on it. In the USA it's been several years, i think, since cellphone minutes became both local & National long distance minutes for us. Still have to pay International Long Distance.

Thanks, I could have worded that a little better, but that's what I was going for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.