Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ltlredwagon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
Just to say in advance: I have no WiFi in my house, don't want it. Everything is wired.

Old System -- no problem, printer shows up fine and works. Internet connection is great.
1. Canon Photo printer and ethernet cable (with USB adapter) connected to...
2. Powered USB 3.0 hub connected to...
3. 20 foot active extension repeater cable connected to...
4. 2013 MacBook pro running Sierra.

New System -- problem: Internet works great -- BUT printer does NOT show up, is "offline":
1. Canon Photo printer and ethernet cable (with adapter) connected to...
2. Powered USB 3.0 hub connected to...
3. 20 foot active extension repeater cable connected to...
4. New "Hyper Drive" (Best Buy) USB-C hub connected to..
5. New 2019 16" Macbook Pro running Catalina

So with the new system, the internet connection (with ethernet to USB adapter) is perfect over the 20 foot connection. But the printer does not show up. If I move the printer next to the Mac and plug the 6 foot printer USB cable directly into the USB-C hub, it's fine. But over the distance -- with the additional USB-C hub -- the printer does not show up. The USB-C world is new to me. Not sure why the USB-C hub is ok with plugging the 6 foot printer cable directly in, but doesn't seem to accept the long distance connection.

Am I just doing something wrong? Is there a different type of USB-C hub that will work fine? Appreciate any comments.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Possibly a power issue.

personally if you want a printer that far away, I’d run the printer over Ethernet. Much less fragile system that way.

ltlredwagon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
Thanks, Stephen. This is something I don't know anything about. I will look into how to do this. I'm using two printers, an Epson 3880 and a Canon 8720. The Epson has an ethernet port, but the Canon does not. Maybe there is an adapter.

ltlredwagon1

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2020
FWIW, thought I would offer an update. I took out the second hub, the "Hyper-drive". I put a USB-C to USB-A female adapter on the end of the 20 active cable. So now I have 2 printers (the Canon and Epson 3880) and internet which are all working fine. I also got a USB-C monitor, which is charging the Mac, so no need for a separate power adapter for the Mac, which frees up another USB-C port. (Actually I still have the multi-port "Hyper-drive" - I use it only for a wired mouse and 2 ext. USB-C hard drives.)

ltlredwagon1

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2020
Fail! My solution is not stable. So I’m gathering that an ethernet connection of some sort is the way to go, but I don’t know anything about how to do this (and I’m not too tech savvy to begin with). I’ve attached a diagram of my room. Unfortunately, this is the way it is – the computer is on one side of a long room and the printers, scanner are on the other. My diagram is just a guess, so maybe several errors, but the main thing is I’m not sure exactly what type of hardware is #5. I’m guessing that 1, 2, 3, and 4 go into #5 and then an ethernet cable runs out of #5 over to the computer. Is that correct, or am I way off? And as the scanner and one printer have no ethernet ports, I guess I need 2 USB female to RJ45 male adapter, is that right? Appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• Diagram.jpg
    Diagram.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 75
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.