Long Download Times on 2011 15" Base?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xxplosive1984, Mar 28, 2011.

1. xxplosive1984 macrumors regular

I just downloaded Call of Duty 4 ($25 on Mac App Store, BTW) and it says 2hrs, 21 mins until download finishes. The file size is 7.3GB. Is this normal?

2. Robbug macrumors member

Ok my turn to bust your chops :D

How long is a piece of rope?

Depends

So with respect to your question it depends on a lot of things....vague question is vague :D :D :D

In all seriousness that sounds about right. It really depends on your internet pipe.

3. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

My guess is that you're used to downloading movies that are a couple of hundred megabytes.... not blockbuster games that are many, many times larger :)

Sounds like you're downloading ~800 kilobytes/second

Nothing wrong with that – it's good

4. xxplosive1984 thread starter macrumors regular

Lol! You got me. I have the mid-level Verizon FiOS package, so I thought it would be pretty fast.

And yeah, I've never downloaded a full game before so that's probably the main thing to consider as far as download times go. Thanks!

5. Robbug macrumors member

To be more helpful, when downloading files from the app store I get around 800kb to 1.2mb/s download speeds. I have a 6mb/s pipe from comcast. This is all on a wireless n network. I don't see too much of a speed increase going wired. But ya when downloading >2GB or what not I usually try to do it when I go to bed or first thing in the morning.

Edit: you can always check on www.dslreports.com and compare your results with others with your service. Even in your area if I recall correctly.

6. xxplosive1984 thread starter macrumors regular

I definitely know now! I was all happy when I bought it thinking I was going to play in a few minutes. Didn't happen that way. Looks like I'll get my first crack at it tomorrow lol

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

8. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Yeah, your speed is actually pretty decent you're just downloading a large file. If it was saying 2+ hours for a 7MB file then you'd have a concern.