Long ethernet cable purchase.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheShinyMac, Dec 30, 2010.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I need a 50-60 foot ethernet cable. First off do these exist? I need it to meet a few of my requirements.

1. Able to be "snaked" thru walls and a few bends.
    2.Near zero cable/signal/speed/what ever else goes thru the cable degradation to occur.
    3. Affordable? Less than 50$ if possible.
    Attached is the quality of my line.
    [​IMG]

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yup, they exist. ive seen up to 100 feet in the store. Id try office depot. Thats where I got mine.

3. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

4. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Buy a 500' or 1000' spool and a good crimping tool and never worry about buying premade cables again.

5. daver11 macrumors regular

That's what I did. Needed to run a cable from my home office to the family room. It's really easy, too.

6. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

If you are snaking it through walls it is best to buy a crimp tool about $20 on ebay. The wires break easily.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

8. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I have 100ft one running from a room on my second floor through a laundry shoot and at a 90 degree angle it gets bent to go into the floor and it works fine. Monoprice also sells cables that are rated for in wall installation as well though.

9. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I don't really get the whole 'doesnt get bent well part, btw first post from my new iPad!!!!!!!!!!!

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Along with getting the spindle of CAT 6 cabling. I would recommend some CAT 6 Keystone jacks and some Keystone Wall Plates for a clean finish and wall ports you simply plug into.

You may consider multi-jack plates for the room with your router so you can add more jack in the future for other rooms. They also have other jacks for RCA, RG 6 (TV Cable), RJ 11 (phone), BNC, speakers, &c.

11. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

Ditto. It does come in shorter lengths, I've purchased 100m and 300m drums. It starts to get insanely cheap at these lengths.

Comes in two varieties. "Solid" and "Stranded". Solid uses solid copper wire, Stranded uses stranded copper wires. Solid is usually used for installations, like in your situation. Stranded is usually used for connecting between the wal socket / fixed router and computer.

Solid doesn't like sharp bends, but is otherwise more resilient. Make the effort to avoid sharp bends, lay it under the floor and give it plenty of slack. Test it before you put everything back down again.

12. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch