Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
UK
On an idea by E3BK, somewhere to post our attempts at long exposure HDR photography.

Something to start

The lower bridges long exposure panorama
by another scotsman, on Flickr

This was composed of 6x 2-minute portrait-orientation exposures, each given the same HDR treatment in C1P before merging in Hugin. Resulted in a big, detailed file. Not the best example of "HDR" but I tend to like mine a bit more realistic rather than surrealistic.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Awesome. Thanks for getting a new thread going. As soon as I'm though this crazy event I'm working on, I'm going to try to get out to try. Looks like you've already tested in my spot though. haha.

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
UK
Awesome. Thanks for getting a new thread going. As soon as I'm though this crazy event I'm working on, I'm going to try to get out to try. Looks like you've already tested in my spot though. haha.
Thanks E3BK but I'm sure you'll do a lot better than that though. Pretty featureless sky (100% cloud cover) and realistically too dark but what do you expect in January?

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I think this is great. Been researching a bit and I am going to try to carve out some time to get some done.

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
UK
I think this is great. Been researching a bit and I am going to try to carve out some time to get some done.
It's definitely worth a go Ken. For me at least, the very long exposure aspect is what makes the pictures looks so different but for maximum impact it needs a good combination of static and moving subjects - perhaps why it is applied so much to architecture shots. I'd like to suggest that we share as much of the techniques used as possible to help the mutual learning experience.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
It's definitely worth a go Ken. For me at least, the very long exposure aspect is what makes the pictures looks so different but for maximum impact it needs a good combination of static and moving subjects - perhaps why it is applied so much to architecture shots. I'd like to suggest that we share as much of the techniques used as possible to help the mutual learning experience.
Yep totally up for it. Tooled up with NDs now... Just need a kitchen pass to go play... That's the hard part...

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Great idea. I will be along eventually once I get the hang of using bulb mode.

In the meantime, here's the colour version of my recent competition entry for you to rip the shreds out of :rolleyes:

River Medway at Hoo HDR
by Hugh Russell, on Flickr

It's only a 30 second exposure so very little cloud movement. Also, I bracketed 3 shots -3 / 0 / +3 EV and realise I maybe should have tried less of a range.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: 0970373

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I got a trigger trap for the Sony.. set the exposure time in the app and tap the button... No faffing with the shutter release...

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
UK
Great idea. I will be along eventually once I get the hang of using bulb mode.

In the meantime, here's the colour version of my recent competition entry for you to rip the shreds out of :rolleyes:

River Medway at Hoo HDR

It's only a 30 second exposure so very little cloud movement. Also, I bracketed 3 shots -3 / 0 / +3 EV and realise I maybe should have tried less of a range.

Hugh
Hugh, I'm no expert so take what I say with a good degree of scepticism...I'd suggest that for this scene that if you went for even longer exposure you would end up with a featureless sky. This might be an effect you are after but to get the effect of movement you need a fair degree of clear sky (on a cloudy day) or cloud (on a clear day) - how much will depend on wind speed and exposure time but I'd probably say around a 50:50 mix wouldn't be a bad start. With that sort of mixture, you can set your exposure time according to how fast the cloud is moving - long for slow moving, short for faster moving. Experimentation is the key.

Reactions: kenoh and Hughmac

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

So, there was a nice moon over Glasgow last night. I managed to get some pictures but rather than do my usual snap away, I tried some longer - 30s - exposures.

While they are not great - loaded them on Flickr - they are showing some promise for getting a look I am striving for. Moon looks a bit oval as it was moving at a fair clip! Surprising how far it moves when viewed beyond 200mm focal length!

Looking forward to getting some shots using long exposure. Been researching some spots to try out...

Reactions: 0970373

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
OK, another trip out, with my new Samyang 12mm f/2 lens...

Arrabona HDR

3 shot bracket of 0 / -2 / +2 EV, ISO 100, f/4
Processed using Google Nik HDR Efex Pro.

There's 5 new HDR attempts up on my Flickr if you want to see more.

Better, huh? :D - comments welcome.

Hugh
[doublepost=1474823250][/doublepost]Sorry, I've just realised that this thread is for long exposures - mine are not, so I'll take 'em down if needs be :oops:

Hugh

Reactions: kenoh

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
UK
OK, another trip out, with my new Samyang 12mm f/2 lens...

Arrabona HDR

3 shot bracket of 0 / -2 / +2 EV, ISO 100, f/4
Processed using Google Nik HDR Efex Pro.

There's 5 new HDR attempts up on my Flickr if you want to see more.

Better, huh? :D - comments welcome.

Hugh
[doublepost=1474823250][/doublepost]Sorry, I've just realised that this thread is for long exposures - mine are not, so I'll take 'em down if needs be :oops:

Hugh
Like the series Hugh. You've not gone overboard on the HDR effect here - the subject does have a lot of contrast so HDR is one way of getting that over. OK, so it isn't long exposure but you've got the HDR bit done nicely. To do long exposure in this scene you'd need a strong ND filter like 10-stop or so.

Reactions: Hughmac and kenoh

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
On an idea by E3BK, somewhere to post our attempts at long exposure HDR photography.

Something to start

The lower bridges long exposure panorama
by another scotsman, on Flickr

This was composed of 6x 2-minute portrait-orientation exposures, each given the same HDR treatment in C1P before merging in Hugin. Resulted in a big, detailed file. Not the best example of "HDR" but I tend to like mine a bit more realistic rather than surrealistic.

I'm a bit confused. I'm guessing the pano is made up of six frames but where does the HDR come in? Did bracket the two minute exposures or do some post quasi-HDR on the original files?

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
UK
I'm a bit confused. I'm guessing the pano is made up of six frames but where does the HDR come in? Did bracket the two minute exposures or do some post quasi-HDR on the original files?
Sorry, should have been more explicit. Pano is actually 6 frames, each of which is a combination of two exposures: one for two minutes, one for 20-seconds. Each pair of exposures was blended and processed to yield six images which were then panorama-merged using Hugin. In effect, the 20-second exposures were there to account for the street lights and for the odd very high exposure water reflection. Pity the weather was such that the overall effect lacks a bit (a lot) of dynamic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.