Long Exposure Write Times Common?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by xStep, May 4, 2014.

1. xStep macrumors 68000

When performing long exposures, say 30 seconds, I notice that after the shutter has closed, the same amount of time is used in 'Processing' the image. This appears on a 9 year old Sony camera I have, and on the new Sony a6000 and full frame A7 series. I tested the new cameras in both raw and jpg mode with the same delayed result.

Is this common from all camera manufactures to have an equal amount of processing time to image capture time?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Processing means it's taking a second long exposure with the shutter closed and using that for noise reduction. You can turn it off in the setting for NR.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I agree. My Sony NEX-7 does the same thing. Personally, I do not turn off the noise reduction. In fact, I am not 100% sure it is possible. I think it is, but I would rather wait than end up with a useless picture.

/Jim

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

I get the same thing with my non-Sony camera. I figure it's the factory default…set by engineers that know more about it than I do. So until I have a very good reason to turn it off, I haven't even looked to see if I can turn it off.

ymmv, of course….

5. xStep thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for pointing that out. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I should have remembered this from digital astronomy stories of the past where they manually perform this process.

Apparently it can be turned off if desired on the new camera. Went poking around my old camera and can't find an off switch for it.