LONG iPhone Backups interrupted

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by doobs, Jul 24, 2008.

1. doobs macrumors regular

WTF is up with the iPhone Backup process that takes over 1 hour for me with 33 small apps? It is extremely excessive and has to start over completely when it is interrupted by a phone call....wtf?

2. JTrain23 macrumors member

JTrain23

Same thing happened to me last night. I was doing the initial setup in iTunes. I am pretty sure it has something to do with the apps. What I did today was plug in to iTunes.... when it started syncing I slid the "canel" bar on the phone and synced the contacts manually.... That was the only thing I wanted to sync at the time.... Hopefully they (Apple) can shorten the process.... We'll see.... :rolleyes:

3. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

They should do it so it only backs up the stuff you don't have on iTunes like sms and settings.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

< 2 minutes per installation. You able to do 33 manual installs on your computer in a normal user fashion? If it's excessive, then do a few at once, or just leave it overnight, and you can get a big backup done too...

5. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

ha! funny, i was going to post the same thing. WTF is up with 'backing up' before syncing the phone? mine takes maybe a minute or two, but still, that's an annoying wait. i don't get why 2.0 has to do this especially if none of my apps change?

6. Wolf103FM macrumors regular

I finally came across how to skip the backup process. and it only took 28 seconds to sync afterwards. (I let mine do a full backup once before I did this)
    Quit iTunes, go to terminal and paste
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.iTunes DeviceBackupsDisabled -bool true
    to re-enable the backup, just change true to false.

http://gizmodo.com/5029121/how-to-disable-iphones-backup-process

7. rioja macrumors regular

Thanks!! My backup was about 15-20 minutes. It was killing me

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

Thank you indeed! On my twenty-third restore now; those hour-long backups (which I was never actually able to restore from) were a major pain.

9. doobs thread starter macrumors regular

It just occurred to me that you can put your iPhone in Airplane Mode to avoid phone calls that might interrupt the long Backup process.