Long Island Bound - business trip, possible free time

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I will need to be in Uniondale, NY on Thursday for a class. I will be staying at the Long Island Marriott Hotel & Conference Center. I have the option of taking and arriving early on Wednesday. I will be without a car. I was thinking about arriving early and taking in the Cradle of Aviation Museum. Any thoughts on this. Or is there something better to se and do close by?

Thanks for the help.

Chip

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
You could drink Long Island Ice Tea (one of my favourite drinks). A potent brew of Vodka, Tequila, Gin, Bicardi, Cointreu, lemon juice and cola. :p

I apologise for the uselessness, but that's about the extent of my Long Island knowledge. :eek:

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
max_altitude said:
You could drink Long Island Ice Tea (one of my favourite drinks). A potent brew of Vodka, Tequila, Gin, Bicardi, Cointreu, lemon juice and cola. :p

I apologise for the uselessness, but that's about the extent of my Long Island knowledge. :eek:
LOL, that would be a nice way to relax before my day of class IMO. :)

But was hoping for some help for things to do near my hotel if I decided to arrive early in the day, as opposed to arriving later in the day (after working some at my regular work site).

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Raven VII said:
I'll invade Long Island on the 13th. If you're still around by then, we could go out for a drink or two.
Sorry, I will be there only on the 10th and the 11th. :( No possible way to extend, unless I take vacation time (doubtful since my manager had to change his vacation plans in order for me to attend this training).

We'll have to see what other cities we may be in next to share a drink in. :)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
right next store is the nassau colosseum, their might be some sorta activity going on...
Down the street is hofstra university.......
You can check out roosevelt field mall, (u will need a taxi) theirs an apple store in their.....
You can also go to the source mall and go to cheese cake factory...
I'm from huntington so i don't really go around their that offten.
you can go to jones beach... if its nice out

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
puckhead193 said:
right next store is the nassau colosseum, their might be some sorta activity going on...
Down the street is hofstra university.......
You can check out roosevelt field mall, (u will need a taxi) theirs an apple store in their.....
You can also go to the source mall and go to cheese cake factory...
I'm from huntington so i don't really go around their that offten.
you can go to jones beach... if its nice out
And I'm getting hickies in Hicksville!

And Nova, noticed that you're in Northern VA? I'm in DC, so we can conceivably do it this weekend. Brickskeller?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Raven VII said:
And Nova, noticed that you're in Northern VA? I'm in DC, so we can conceivably do it this weekend. Brickskeller?
Have not been there in 20+ years!

You picked a bad weekend for me, unless Sunday works for you. My camera shop is having a big Tent Sale this weekend (Friday and Saturday). Still trying to tire myself out after yesterday. Probably will be dead after today. :) Or I hope so. Really need some sleep. :)

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Chip NoVaMac said:
Have not been there in 20+ years!

You picked a bad weekend for me, unless Sunday works for you. My camera shop is having a big Tent Sale this weekend (Friday and Saturday). Still trying to tire myself out after yesterday. Probably will be dead after today. :) Or I hope so. Really need some sleep. :)
Sunday night is perfectly fine. I'm off until Wednesday :D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
At this point I am leaning on going up to Long Island early. Just because of being able to visit the Cradle of Aviation museum.

From my hotel, it appears that it is only a 1.5 mile walk. And I will have the chance to walk by the Mitchell County Park and the Eisenhower Park.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Small world, I work in Uniondale, right across the street form the LI Marriott. I'll be in our Denver office those days however.

Not much to do in the area. Aviation Museum is an easy walk, they have an iMax theater there. Eisenhower Park is also an easy walk.

Based on the cost of a cab from the airport each way, renting a car would not cost much more.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
rdowns said:
Small world, I work in Uniondale, right across the street form the LI Marriott. I'll be in our Denver office those days however.

Not much to do in the area. Aviation Museum is an easy walk, they have an iMax theater there. Eisenhower Park is also an easy walk.

Based on the cost of a cab from the airport each way, renting a car would not cost much more.

Bummer. :(

I love walking, and it seems more likely that I will change my flight to get up there in the morning. Even if it costs me a vacation day. I use the 2mph per an hour walking rule. Sounds like the area is "safe".

Lucky for me the vendor is paying for the "limo" (ie, a shuttle bus) between LGA and the hotel. But thanks for the tip. Not all vendors are as nice. I love their contract with USAir. No penalties for changing my flight times, or canceling my flight. In fact I am scheduled to depart at 6PM from LGA, but if I miss that flight I can get on the 7PM flight if space is there. No hassles.

Raven VII said:
Because I live there?

I go to university in DC.
Hey Raven. I do want to get together with you before you leave DC for the summer. The Brickskeler is a great place.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
To get around in LI, I think you need a car. I used to live in Nassau County and I left there after 2 years (I am not a big fan of New York), even though I still have an office there (so I have to go to LI a few times a week). I am interested in reading others' suggestions on where to visit in LI, because I just cannot come up with any.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Chip NoVaMac said:
Bummer. :(

I love walking, and it seems more likely that I will change my flight to get up there in the morning. Even if it costs me a vacation day. I use the 2mph per an hour walking rule. Sounds like the area is "safe".

Lucky for me the vendor is paying for the "limo" (ie, a shuttle bus) between LGA and the hotel. But thanks for the tip. Not all vendors are as nice. I love their contract with USAir. No penalties for changing my flight times, or canceling my flight. In fact I am scheduled to depart at 6PM from LGA, but if I miss that flight I can get on the 7PM flight if space is there. No hassles.

Hey Raven. I do want to get together with you before you leave DC for the summer. The Brickskeler is a great place.
Tomorrow night would be the best night, since I'm free on Tuesday. I can do it any other nights up to Thursday night, but I won't be able to stay as late. Or drink as much ;)

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
iGary said:
As long as he doesn't fly SWA he should be in good shape.
Ah. Somebody caught my 'SWA is the only real carrier to fly to ISP OMG WTF 1337!' drift.

Fly Southwest or else, iGary! I know where (within 100 mi range) you live. WN or die! Join the revolution.... I am NOT toying with your brain by using whitetext....

*heh*

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
I never thought I'd have to resort to pointing out my own whitetext, but, um, yeah.