Long Island verizon customers w/ iP6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsf721, Dec 5, 2014.

1. jsf721 macrumors 6502

I live on Long Island and I have had more disconnected calls and call failures coupled with people who can't hear me.

Whatever happened to. The can you hear me now guy? We need him again

Am I the only one? I have had apple and verizon work on the problem. Apple replaced my phone and verizon has an open tech ticket.

Am I the only one?

2. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Most likely it's because of Verizon's LTE calling implementation.
    When the LTE call loses signal or goes to cdma coverage area instead of handing off to 3G system it just disconnects and drops the call.
    So much for can you hear me now...
    You can disable that feature if call reliability is more important to you than having the ability to use carrier data while talking on the phone.

4. fsfty macrumors member

I'm on the north shore and vz service with my iphone 5 was horrendous. I switched to the LG G3 and reception is so much better. I don't know if the iphone radios blow or if LG"s are exceptional but I'm much happier now.

5. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

Never more than 2 dots unless I am in nyc. Then I get better reception.

----------

Can you explain this to me. I don't know how to try your suggestion.

----------

Trying to stay with apple and verizon.

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

where on Long Island are you? I live in the huntington area while my service bars have dropped compared to my 5 i still have no issues ...(at my house i used to get 4 bars out of the 5 now I get 2..)

7. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

You answered my question and asked what I meant in the same post... You said you only get 2 bars at most, that's probably part of your problem, especially if you are using Advanced Calling

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not 100% sure where it is on the Verizon iPhone 6 but check at settings,cellular,enable LTE. Switch it from voice and data to just use LTE for data only.
    You will not able able to talk on the phone and use carrier data but at least your calls won't keep dropping like this any more.
    It's a trade off and Verizon won't tell you about their voice over LTE limitations not to be able to hand off to 3G.

9. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I will try this.

----------

My ip5 was great in my house got 4 bars, my ip6 gets 2 bars and is spotty.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

Eventually it will be the opposite. Verizon is repurposing its 3G network to expand LTE. Ultimately the default will be to enable LTE for both voice and data. It's entirely possible that what is happening in your area is that Verizon shut off some of the CDMA (3G) towers and turned on LTE.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Incorrect.
    It's just verizons implementation of voice over LTE.
    Even if there is cdma 3G coverage the LTE call cannot handoff and switch from LTE to cdma.
    It just disconnects and drops the call.

12. mastercheif91 macrumors regular

Verizon on the north shore is terrible. My grandfather lives in woodbury and I can barely pull any throughput on LTE in his house. Like <1mbps. I couldn't imagine trying to make a VoLTE call on that. My cousin pulled >20mbps on his at&t phone.

It's ironic because the story is the exact opposite on the south shore. I had to get at&t to comp me a microcell because their service was so terrible in Merrick. Switched to verizon and now I can make calls in my basement.

The absolute first thing I would do is turn off VoLTE. Even off the island, whenever I'm indoors VoLTE reliability is spotty at best. WiFi calling can't come soon enough.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

You're missing my point. I know that there are no handoffs from LTE to CDMA. However, Verizon is repurposing CDMA spectrum to LTE, which is reducing the capacity of its CDMA network.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    But even if there was full capacity cdma coverage it would do him no good since it can't switch to cdma without disconnecting.
    Getting my point? So repurposing cdma for more LTE in this instance makes no difference if he's using voice over LTE. His LTE coverage is low and cuts out his phone calls.
    And cdma 3G is way more plentiful than LTE coverage.

15. alent1234 macrumors 603

depends where you are. crazies on LI were fighting verizon from putting up more cell towers a few years back

16. boobie12 macrumors 6502

It used to be much better but now in certain places of Long island I'm getting 1 bar. And horrible service.

17. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

My verizon service in merrick has been horrible. It used to be rock solid.