Long-lasting Lightning-to-USB?

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Hi everyone
My 3rd replacement Lightning is starting to behave pensioner-style, so I have to hold it properly for it to work. The usual thing
I was wondering if I can get a replacement at Apple? Also, even if I can:
What are the sturdy cables out there? I don't want to replace the bloody thing 4 times a year. I don't necessarily need a cheap or a long one, just so it is strong, reversible and fully working. Any ideas?

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
AmazonBasics USB A to Lightning Compatible Cable (3 Feet/0.9 Meter)
http://amzn.com/B009SYZ8OC

RND Apple Certified Lightning to USB cable (6 feet/white) made for iPhone, iPad, iPod
http://amzn.com/B00AGJMMVA

The AmazonBasic one is great and feels high quality when in your hand at $14. The RND one is a bit expensive at $22. I mainly recommend the AmazonBasic one.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Amazon basic looks kind of similar to Griffin. Which one is sturdier? Are these the sturdiest out there?

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
I bought like 3 Griffin ones from BestBuy and one was really sturdy and stiff compared to the other 2.
Well, I may not get even that lucky. It looks like all cables are made from the same materials, with some exceptions. I thought I was not the only one replacing cables every 3 month(well, I also have to replace my battery)

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Absolutely Amazon Basics. I've abused mine for months and it's still going strong.

orleanfyrfightr

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
Check out paracable. They are custom wrapped in para cord which is pretty durable stuff. I plan on ording one after my next pay day.

I also own a griffin that replaced my apple one, which wore out where it meets the connector. It seems to be holding up pretty well, it's much shorter but I use it with a USB extension cable.

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Amazon Basics arrived today. I though it to be a bit thicker than Apple's, but it appears to be the same size. Apple Store employee told me to get a Genius Bar appointment so maybe they can swap my lightning. I also have Griffin as an alternative variant

----------

Check out paracable. They are custom wrapped in para cord which is pretty durable stuff. I plan on ording one after my next pay day.

I also own a griffin that replaced my apple one, which wore out where it meets the connector. It seems to be holding up pretty well, it's much shorter but I use it with a USB extension cable.
That's where they all wear out :) Two 30-pins of mine previously wore out to the wires, the casing just came off
Paracord seems to be quite pricey, and I heard about the material not helping. Will see

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
First impression about the Amazon lightning: less flexible than Apple, probably thicker cord wrap. Reversible, so no problem here.
Also, Apple exchanged my lightning free of charge on basis of iPhone warranty

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I got these. They work good:) i hope they last!
iXCC (tm) 2pcs White 10ft (TEN FEET !) EXTRA LONG Lightning USB SYNC Cable Cord Charger For Apple iPhone 5, iPod Nano 7, iPod Touch 5, iPad 4, iPad with Retina Display and the iPad Mini
http://amzn.com/B00CCTSR0M

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
Lightning to micro-USB adapter, then whatever micro-USB cable I have on hand. I don't use the standard Apple-supplied cables outside the home, and most of my device charging uses micro-USB anyhow.

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Status update for Amazon Basics: first a crack appeared on the plastic casing(near the phone, of course). Today it broke the hell off. That was a bit less than for an Apple one, but I scotch-taped it and it still worked anyway. The cable itself is already out of the casing and bending, so not a good forecast.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Status update for Amazon Basics: first a crack appeared on the plastic casing(near the phone, of course). Today it broke the hell off. That was a bit less than for an Apple one, but I scotch-taped it and it still worked anyway. The cable itself is already out of the casing and bending, so not a good forecast.
Wow,
It has a 1 year warranty, so use it:) do you rest the lightning cable like this:

This is why I think you are breaking al your cables.

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010