LONG LINES - Imagine the Retina Pad Ones

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSMac, Mar 23, 2011.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

Think these lines are long, can you imagine the lines for the retina pad!

Most people I know are not upgrading this round but all say they will when the retina display model is released....

2. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I don't think it will be any worse because the amount of people who are skipping this upgrade to wait for the next one, is probably equivalent to the amount of people who skipped the first iPad to wait for the iPad 2. Plus, the average consumer doesn't really care about tech geeky things like retina displays.

3. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Retina display is not a "tech-geeky thing". A bump in RAM or processor change is (sort of) a "tech-geeky thing"

4. Cool Hwhip macrumors member

You're right. No one prefers HD over standard definition.

5. ravenas macrumors regular

Retina display is not as enticing as increased function. The cameras are what's making this model more interesting to newbies (even if they are crappy cameras).

I'm thinking Apple will have to do more to entice the non-enthusiast to upgrade. Better camera, more storage, better screen.

Either way next time I upgrade I'm ordering online or waiting a few months until store stock builds up. The Apple line experience is no fun.

6. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

People in store seeing one with dual cameras and
    another with a clearly better retina display,
    you think people would choose cameras?

Apple might as well sell point and shoots instead :)

I don't see it that way...

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I respectfully disagree. What increased function? Two crappy cameras on front and back that most reviewers hate? I think most people are attracted to the new form factor and that is what is driving this irrational demand.

On a device that is almost all screen, a sharp retina quality display will be immediately noticeable and a huge leap forward even if nothing else changes.

10. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

I'm a semi-pro photographer and there's a lot of pros out there who want Apple to go back into that market to shake things up. There's a lot that Apple can teach the established makers (Nikon, Canon). I'd still stick with Nikon but if they incorporated some of the ideas Apple could bring to the table... schwing!

11. aluren macrumors 65816

Either way there's gonna be lines. I just wish Apple would implement something to prevent scalpers from buying the entire supply everyday. Pre-ordering online before release, reserve/pick up at Apple store, limit to two per credit card, no cash, etc, would make life easier for us.

Apple, you got your lines for the iPad 2. Now can we get our sanity and sleep back for iPhone 5 and forward?

12. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I agree with this. I got the iPad 2 (finally!), but when there is a Retina Display iPad, I will seriously consider a more aggressive approach to get one (i.e. getting up at 3am).

While Apple probably only cares about the sale - even if it is to 70 year old Asian people who will never own the product - they should care about maximizing the experience for their real customers who will actually be repeat buyers of other Apple products. So whatever they can do to make the buying experience better in the future should be a focus for them.

That said, why not just make the US and Worldwide release the same day??? Like, couldn't we have just waited until the 25th in the US as well and we all get iPads with little frustration???:confused: