Long live old hardware! (Aka, PB G4's aren't bad at all!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Borjan, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Borjan macrumors regular

I recently sold a 12inc 1.33 G4 iBook in the hopes that the sale would help me get one of he new Macbooks...

Sadly, turns out the funds weren't adequate. I needed a laptop, but managed to get an Intel Mac Mini on the cheap.

Finally got my hands on a 15inch 1.33 G4 Powerbook, again on the cheap.

I got used to the speed of the Mini, and the size of the PB is a little larger than what I wanted, and damn does it get warm, so I know this isn't exactly what I want...

BUT I'm loving it. Still runs OSX great, and the best thing was, it cost very little! I'm going to put a superdrive in, and soon upgrade the HD as well as the RAM from 1GB to 2GB. I will eventually sell it, and overall from all my mac sales, I'll make a very tidy profit!

LONG LIVE OLD HARDWARE!

They may not be cheap, but they still work great! :apple:

2. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

ive got 2 alu pbg4's (in my sig) and they are awesome, i prefer tiger to leopard but other than that i have no problems with them, im saving up currently for a mb/mbp (havent decided which one i want yet!!)

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

My PowerBook G4 still meets my needs.

5 years and running!

4. iamvexed macrumors member

I love my PB! I have thought about upgrading to a MBP, but can't justify doing so because the PB meets my needs so well!

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

My PB15 that is 5 years old meets all my needs except one, and that is to run Windows XP via VMware/Parallels. VPC was just too slow.

I used to carry two laptops: PB15 and a PC notebook.

Now I only need one which is nice.

My PB15 still works great, and I still use it at home. So other than needing it for a non Mac use if you will, it still is fine. Pretty darn awesome when you think about it. Also still use a PM933 that is almost 7 years old. :)

Older G4 based desktops and laptops are still wonderful machines.

6. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

yeh, so true. my G4 PB 15" & 17" have delivered faithful services LOL. only had the dodgy white spot lcd problem on the 15 and a HD failure on the 17. both covered on AC. Gonna get a new keyboard for the 17 as I spilled one to many glasses of wine on it. Apart from the rubber feet coming off and the rubber grey edging drooping just half a millimeter by the CD/DVD drive slot.. it still looks great and putting along.. my old faithfuls :D:D