Long live the iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pika2000, Jun 5, 2017.

1. pika2000 macrumors 601

Apple finally put the last nail for the iPhone 5, by dropping it from iOS 11.
    Let's remember the great things about the iPhone 5.
    It brought the well loved form factor, to the point that Apple continues using the design for the SE.
    It has the A6, Apple's last 32bit SoC.
    It's the first iPhone with 1GB of RAM, and it pays off as it is humming along on iOS 10, unlike the 4/4S which were lagging pretty bad on their last iOS version.
    It is the oldest iPhone to support the Apple Watch.
    It is the first IPhone with LTE.
    It is the first iPhone with lightning connector.
    It is the last iPhone with the iconic home button (discounting the 5c)

Long live the iPhone 5.
    Share your favorite things about the iPhone 5. :)

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Black/Slate.

iOS 6.

2017-06-05 12.54.05.jpg

3. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

The iPhone 5 was a good phone,if you don't look at the battery errors,some of them had a crappy battery,which forced owners to carry around external power ounces. I know,because the one I had for 2,5 years,and that's still in use by my mother,is one of those lemons. When it comes to apps and handling,it's still a good phone.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

That iPhone 5 above, that's my third one. When it finally dies (probably battery swelling for the third time) it more than likely won't be replaced - if I haven't given it to someone else by that point.

Scuffgate, et.all is kind of a shame because the design of the phone is very nice. I skipped the 4s entirely waiting for it.

5. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

The first thing you pointed. The design.

6. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

I still have one running iOS 6, it truly was an amazing iPhone.

7. Susurs macrumors 6502a

Susurs

It was a great phone... at it's time...

8. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

The only version of 5/5S that I liked. I hated that ugly two tone back. Black slate was the only one that looked good.

9. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

I loved my iPhone 5 (slate black!) for the two years I used it. Really handsome device. I remember when I unboxed and activated it, and I saw that beautiful "AT&T LTE" indicator up top. Finally cellular data felt as fast as Wi-Fi.

I did have the earpiece die on mine, though, but Apple swapped it right away, no questions asked. Not only that, but the replacement iPhone 5 just happened to support T-Mobile frequencies too (it didn't on release), so when I passed it down to my girlfriend she was able to use it with MetroPCS for a while. Had to replace the battery too, but that was easy with a new one from iFixit.

She finally upgraded to an iPhone 6, putting my old tank of an iPhone 5 to rest. It had a long and productive life, though!

10. pika2000 thread starter macrumors 601

Apple did run a battery replacement program for the 5. I had mine replaced. Sure, battery life is not the greatest, but it's such a tiny battery to begin with.

11. JohnApples macrumors 65816

For years I used an iPod Touch + Flip phone combo. Flip Phone handed calls, iPod Touch handled literally everything else. Never saw a use for an iPhone until the 5 arrived. That was my first ever iPhone.

Design was awesome. Color was kickass until it got scuffed to hell (somehow inside a soft case?). Perfect fit in my hands. LTE made my iPhone 4/S friends jealous. Thought Siri was the coolest thing ever. Went through 3 different models due to manufacturer defects. Ahh but it was a good 2 years.

12. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Yeah. Great phone. I had my battery replaced twice by Apple at no charge during the two years I used it. The first was under the battery recall program. The second was when I got my power/sleep button fixed. The guy told me that they have to remove the battery to replace the switch and Apple's policy prohibits them from reinstalling a used battery.

13. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Only iPhone ever to get more than a 2x increase in CPU power. It made the 4s look pathetically weak by comparison!

14. The Catalyst, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017

The Catalyst macrumors 6502

Still using an old white iPhone 5 on my verizon plan. It may not be the fastest, it may not be the prettiest, but it sure had a good run.

15. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

For me I will miss the 5 as I loved it's form factor when released. I still use a 5s and SE as I still really like the design. Also it stayed fluid all the way up through iOS 10. It will be missed.

16. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Will Apple have a change of heart and support iOS 11 on the 5?

17. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I highly doubt it.

Supporting the iPhone 5 on iOS 11 means supporting 32-bit. With 32-bit apps set to be eliminated from the App Store this doesn't make any sense.

18. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Do they really need to? iOS 10 is fairly solid and less resource intensive than 11. You won't be missing out on anything for quite a while if the iPhone 5 stays on iOS 10.

By the time the old OS starts to become a problem, the vast majority of iPhone 5's will be sufficiently long in the tooth that it'll be time to upgrade anyway for other reasons such as failing components. If you love the form factor, just get the iPhone SE which is pretty much exactly the same.

19. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Maybe. Probably. I’ve been conditioned to only want to run the greatest and latest OS! I got a replacement iPhone during the recent recall which was brand new so my iPhone 5 isn’t 2 years yet. I think about upgrading but it still serves me well.

20. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

The iPhone 5 does not have the required hardware for iOS 11,so It can never run that iOS version,. Soo,there are two options:
    Forget iOS 11,and stay with your present iOS
    Upgrade,the iPhone SE can run iOS 11.