Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soccerjoe5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
i upgraded my MBP's HDD.

there's a pause during startup though, about 5-10 seconds, before the apple logo shows up. afterwards it seems fine. no performance issues or anything.

it's just that long pause before the apple logo shows up with a gray screen.

any idea why this happens?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Is your drive partitioned for bootcamp? If so this is known to introduce a small delay into the boot time.

You could try going into System Preferences and actively selecting your harddrive as the boot partition or reseting your PRAM (cmd+opt+p+r) on boot.

soccerjoe5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Is your drive partitioned for bootcamp? If so this is known to introduce a small delay into the boot time.

You could try going into System Preferences and actively selecting your harddrive as the boot partition or reseting your PRAM (cmd+opt+p+r) on boot.

thanks for the reply!

nope it's not partitioned for bootcamp. it IS a clone of the older hard drive though, if that matters. i wonder if reformatting and reinstalling leopard will cure this :confused:

i looked at "startup disk" in my system preferences and the only option shown is "network startup" that has an icon with a question mark :confused:

i can try that reseting PRAM, it won't have any side effects?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.