Long pause during restart (MBP Mid 2010 with SSD)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Mar 3, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I replaced the HD of my MBP 17" Mid 2010 with a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1T about a month ago. At the beginning it was very fast during restart but for the past two weeks, I noticed a long pause (about 15-20 seconds) after I chose restart. This also happened when I turned on the system. It was like the system was looking for a boot drive and it took a long time to find it. Know what is going on and how to fix this?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

After you replace a boot drive like that you need to go into System Prefs and in the Startup Disk pane select the new SSD as the boot disk. If you don't do that, the system wastes time looking around for all available boot sources before it finds the SSD.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks but I have done that already since I also have Bootcamp Windows 7 installed. Mac OS is the default startup system.

4. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

+1. I've noticed this as well. 15" mid-2009 MBP w/ Samsung EVO 850 @ 500GB.

5. hajime, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016

hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I used a stopwatch to do a test. After I chose Restart, the screen turned blank but the LED below the palm rest area continued to be on. Nothing happened. After waiting for about 40 seconds, I heard the chimp and a sound from the DVD drive. Then, the system rebooted quickly.

Under Windows, there is no such long pause. So, the long pause is due to Mac OS X. Probably something in Mac OS X is holding the restart/shut down.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Use the free application EtreCheck to see if you gave a Trojan, old plugins or others in your system. The program won't delete these files but the text report will show you to path to manually delete those files. Just restart after deleting services!

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. I got an Excellent in Performance. I have the following in red. Do I need to do anything? Does not seem to have anything strange...

Startup Items: ⓘ
    Parallels: Path: /Library/StartupItems/Parallels
    ParallelsTransporter: Path: /Library/StartupItems/ParallelsTransporter
    rEFItBlesser: Path: /Library/StartupItems/rEFItBlesser
    VirtualBox: Path: /Library/StartupItems/VirtualBox
    Startup items are obsolete in OS X Yosemite

Launch Agents: ⓘ
    [failed] com.intego.VirusBarrierX6.alert.plist (2010-05-03) [Support]

Launch Daemons: ⓘ
    [failed] com.intego.VirusBarrierX6.daemon.plist (2010-05-03) [Support]
    [failed] com.intego.VirusBarrierX6.scanner.daemon.plist (2010-05-03) [Support]

User Launch Agents: ⓘ
    [failed] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist (2011-01-25) [Support]

Time Machine: ⓘ
    Time Machine not configured!

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It's your VirusBarrier6 that is not compatible with your current OS X! Delete it or upgrade it!

9. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you very much satcomer. I checked the Application folder. I cannot find VirusBarrier6. As far as I recall, I deleted it few years ago. However, on the top right of the LCD screen, on the menu bar I see the Intego icon. Intego is the company that made VirbusBarrier6 and under it, I see NetUpdate. I deleted NetUpdate from the Application folder and rebooted. The program disappeared from the Application folder. However, the Intego icon is still on the menu bar. How to remove it completely?

10. Elbert C macrumors 6502

How to Uninstall Intego Products

11. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. Intego helped me to unistall the program. At the beginning, it was a bit faster but now I have the same slow restart issue again.

12. chown33 macrumors 604

Given that description, the problem is in shutdown, not startup. I'm not sure what "chimp" you heard. Maybe you mean "chirp" or the startup sound. If the delay came after the startup sound, then the problem is in startup. Since it comes before the sound, it's in shutdown.

You can also confirm this by shutting down completely (power off). If that takes 40 secs, then the delay is definitely in shutdown.

Then turn the computer on. If it starts up with a sound and then boots quickly, then the delay is in shutdown. If startup from off takes 40 seconds, then you have a startup delay, in addition to whatever happens at a real power-off shutdown.

Something is taking a long time to quit or shut down. Look in the system logs to see if there's anything there about processes or daemons not responding to requests to quit, shutdown, stop, etc. The shutdown process will typically wait 15 seconds or so per request, and use escalating staged signals (SIGTERM, SIGKILL).

13. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

Lack of a universal central setting for uninstalling programs strikes.

Clone system and boot safe mode then normal.

Most if not all AV products have to alter normal behavior adversely and better without too.

And do give Etrecheck a shot.