Long ship time from Amazon...considering MacMall

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BiffWebster, Nov 8, 2008.

1. BiffWebster macrumors newbie

Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone was in the same position as me. I am interested in ordering the new MBP Pro base model (my first Mac!). I was particularly interested in the discount offered by Amazon (and MacMall) on this item. Anyways, I have been impressed with Amazon in the past...whether I have had problems with an item or whatever...they have always made it right. However, I am really disappointed that my recent order with them is not scheduled to ship until Dec 8th - 31st.

I am seriously considering switching my order to MacMall...since they can ship within the same business day. I have read some posts on here about people discussing MacMall, but can anyone recommend whether they believe this is a good idea...or whether I should just wait for Amazon. I realize that the threads on here about people complaining only represent a small portion of the new MBP owners. However, I do have some reservations if I should have a problem with my new computer.

Thanks in advance.

2. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Well only you can decide how long you are willing to wait for amazon. I can tell you this though, often times amazon over estimates its shipping times.

My gf bought a tv from amazon and it arrived with shipping damage, so amazon exchanged it no problem. When the replacement was being ordered though, they said they were out of stock and that they wouldn't have them in for a month! So I bought it somewhere else and it actually came out cheaper but I checked amazon two weeks later and guess what? It was in stock ready to ship.

Recently I've been eyeing a pair of wireless headphones and the first time I checked they said they would be in stock in a month. I left the item in my cart anyways because I wasn't ready to buy yet. Well 3 days later they were in stock!

From my experience, I think amazon over estimates the time it will take them to get an item in stock because they would rather tell you it is coming in later rather than sooner because if they tell you sooner they'll get lots of emails asking if it was actually coming in etc.

I recieved my macbook pro from amazon yesterday :cool: I've been happy with their service and I'm likeing the Macbook Pro a lot but theres a few things I'm adjusting to (windows user), but more on that later.

If you wanted me to take a guess, I would say amazon should have it in stock within a week. I haven't heard of any MBP shortages so they shouldn't have problems getting them in stock.

3. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

I ordered a white macbook from mac mall last week and it arrived at my doorstep 3 days after I ordered it with there standard shipping. I was more than happy with there service.:apple:

4. BiffWebster thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the replies. I realize that it is up to me how long to wait...honestly I can wait till the end of December for Amazon to ship. However, it is somewhat frustrating when most online retailers have the items in stock. I am hoping they are simply conservatively estimating their ship times. I just figured I would see if anyone else had the same dilemma.

5. TAGF1 macrumors newbie

I ordered from Macmall on the 21st of October, and am still waiting. It may because I ordered a 2.8 with the 7200 RPM drive. It is supposed to be in this week...it was supposed to be in last week.

6. tsa1 macrumors regular

does anyone know if macmall or mac connection charge sales tax for CA? That is the main reason I wanted to order my MBP from them.

Thanks in advance!

7. likegadgets macrumors 6502

Macconnection does not charge sales tax to CA. I got it from them. If it shows in stock it should ship the same day

8. tivoboy macrumors 68030

interesting

One interesting thing about the MACMALL MBP is they have many more options, configurations than the regular models. are these returns or refurbs. They are not standard spec models.