Long shot but...issue with rendering in Vegas

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by squeeks, Jun 7, 2008.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

using XP-64 when i render to the C drive it takes about twice as long as rendering to my D drive, the source material is on the D drive as well

ideas?

both harddrives are 7200 RPM 16m cache and on using the same sata controller

2. -DH macrumors 65816

While I don't use Vegas ... or even edit on a Windows system, I do help out some Vegas users from time to time. My first recommendation would be NOT to render to the C drive. That drive is busy enough running the OS, the Vegas program, reading and writing to your project file and attending to all the myriad of background processes that Windows system typically run. Rendering to or editing to the C drive well usually create all sorts of data throughput issues.

Also check to make sure you have AT LEAST 10% to 15% free space on ALL drives ... especially your boot drive.

-DH

3. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

ive just never had this issue before before i started using XP-64, but then i also have a brand new motherboard, a gigbyte ep35-ds4 so im not sure which the problem is with

the C drive is clean, all thats installed are XP and Vegas, its a 500gb drive so its got plenty of space, what happens is the CPU useage drops to 0% then jumps back to 100% renders for another 5-7 seconds then repeats, also this dosent happen when i render in MPEG1 only mpeg2 and AVI (the two important ones ofcourse) when i get home ill post a screen shot of my CPU useage graph

i really want to keep XP-64 on it becuase it has 8gb ram, i would be open to linux but Vegas cant run on linux and an emulator would kill performance

4. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

well, i installed Vista64 and it renders fine to the C drive

its about 15 seconds slower on a 4 minute file 1:43 compared to 1:27 in XP

so i guess im going to stick with my XP64 install