Long startups, three beeps, trackpad/keyboard freezes...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by youradhere4222, Mar 29, 2012.

1. youradhere4222 macrumors 6502

I have an early 2011 15" MBP and it's been having a lot of problems.

4 months ago I replaced the RAM -- 4GB to 8GB. Since then I've been having a bunch of problems, but I don't know if I can really attribute them to the memory change. I bought a highly rated RAM stick from NewEgg.

Anyway, every once in a while my trackpad and keyboard will be completely unresponsive. If I'm watching a YouTube video or something then it will continue to play, but I can't move the cursor or type anything. Basically, the only thing I can do is hold the power button until it restarts.

But restarting is a problem all its own. When I restart it usually restarts well, but sometimes it will take an exceptionally long time... so long that I just give up and try again. Other times it will beep three times continually until I restart it (sometimes a couple of times) to get it to boot up normally.

So far the only thing I've tried is taking out the memory and putting it back in. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong?

2. njean777 macrumors 6502

Try the original memory and see what happens, if it works fine after putting that back in then it is the Ram, but the weird hardware issues you are having may mean something else. IF all else fails try the apple store and see what they say.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes Probably bad RAM, as posted, try selectively removing modules until you find the bad stick or sticks.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just because the RAM is highly rated doesn't mean all of them are perfect. It sounds like you got a bad kit. I would suggest either exchanging them via the retailer (if it's still possible) or go through the manufacturer (RAM usually comes with a lifetime warranty).

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Bad RAM. I also bought highly reviewed RAM for my MBP and got a bad stick, it happens.