Long Story....Potentiall Happy Ending.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cloud9, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Cloud9 macrumors regular

June 19th: Refurb 17inch 2.93 purchased from apple.....

June 20th: Order not processed because Visa would'nt give up 3 cents. Apple rectifies it and gives me free 2 day shipping.

June 23-25th: Computer arrives, I install my G. Skill ssd raid0. Works potentially well. BUT....8 gb Ram upgrade kit from OWC causes kernel panics. Computer also randomly falls asleep-Randomly! I spend 6 hours on the phone with apple re-performing all the stuff that I had tried to fix it through my research. Nothing works. 5th Tech person I speak too that day tells me to go to a genius bar and that they will fix it like "magic". I swear he used the word magic!

I send 8 gb kit back to owc and have them send me another.

June 26th: I go to Genius Bar. Genius says it needs to be repaired. I Says HELL NO. A freshly apple certified computer should not need repairs. I want another one. I make the Genius call apple in the store and wait on the phone and go through all the hoops. I tell them to ship it to me out of state as I was traveling for work and wanted to machine for a couple shoots and some editing I needed to do while away from home. I give proper address of where I am staying.

Following Week: Apparently even though apple confirmed to me that had the proper address of where I wanted it shipped they still shipped it to my home address. I have them reroute it to where I am staying in California. This after spending more hours on the phone with them.

Next Day: Computer shows up. I install new 8gb Ram kit. More kernal panics! I install Raid0 SSD. Actually I don't install it. It doesnt work. For some god awful reason this computer had the efi 1.7, blows my mind. Eventually I run the system on a single ssd.

Another Week: System is not running correctly with single ssd, problems with kernal panics. I also have no faith in this machines capability in accepting 8gb of ram, even though apple hardware test says its fine.

Another few days of being on the phone with apple: They are taking back my system and allowing me to upgrade to a brand new 17" 3.06 with 8gb of apple ram for an extra $525.00. I find this agreeable.

When the system shows up, and works fine out of box, I will be happy.

Thank you Apple for doing this right, even though I had to encourage you to do the right thing. But, I don't think I will ever buy online again, nor will I buy refurbished again.... There is something to be said for being able to walk into a store and get service from a human.

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Sounds to me like the RAM was the problem. Probably got a faulty set.

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

At least you got a nice 17in Macbook Pro in the end. :D

4. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

4 sticks of faulty ram?!?!?! Of Tested Ram? Seriously?

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

It can happen.

6. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

What the RAM limit for that refurbished machine? If 8 is over the limit, there is your problem...if not then it is just weird...probably faulty hardware on apple's part.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030