long story short, failed OSX install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hellozero, Dec 13, 2013.

1. hellozero macrumors newbie

Had problem with some app/program on my 2009 late iMac27 for a while. Finally decided to do a wipe out and install.

Have time machine backups from latest rMBP15 2013.

And here is what I did wrong and just to share with folks so that you don't have to waste a whole night on this.

Step 1: use snow leopard OSX install CD to erase hard drive ( No problem)

Step 2: clean install of snow leopard, back to OSX 10.6.2 (No Problem)

Step 3: use setup assistant to transfer from my rMBP15 2013 backup (Wrong Wrong Wrong) and here is what happened:

after restore/transfer, could not log in with my password (seems a common bug), fixed by launch with installation CD and reset password

Step 4: log in, most of the apps programs are grayed out/not usable. Figured out that the backup is from Mavericks and while after time machine transfer the system on iMac is still snow leopard, compatibility issue

Step 5: update snow leopard so that I have app store app

Step 6: here is another unknown bug, after the update, the system restarts, and I can't log in again, but in a different way. The system recognize my password, but sec after I logged in, it went back to initial "log in" dialogue. No idea why

Step 7: Changed password again using the installation CD, and was able to log successfully back into snow leopard with App store

Step 8: go to app store, download mavericks (5.3G), took hours

Step 9: Mavericks cannot be installed on the computer. Did some research, it is likely caused by my time machine transfer, which was from the late 2013 rMBP mavericks and is different from the one on the App store. So the system won't allow me to install/upgrade to mavericks on the iMac even though the current system is stuck in snow leopard.

So I plan to repeat the clean installation of snow leopard again tonight, and will update snow leopard first, then upgrade to mavericks and later use migration assistant instead of setup assistant to restore from rMBP time machine backup. Just want to make sure before I spend another whole night on installing OSX. Is this the correct way to do?

Thanks!

2. CarreraGuy macrumors regular

CarreraGuy

I came from Snow Leopard as well - but I don't use TimeMachine.

I assume for your step #5 included installing OS updates? Mavericks will not install unless your Snow Leopard is up to date. Maybe double check?

Also, a shot in the dark... is your hard drive close to capacity? Maybe running out of space?

3. hellozero thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, did update snow leopard. Otherwise won't even be able to get App store to download mavericks.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Put the Mavericks installer on a bootable USB key.