Long-term computer decision- rMBP or bust??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Salto571, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Salto571 macrumors newbie

Hey guys I am getting a brand new set up after over 5 years with a 17" mbp. That thing had zero portability so I am trying to pick out another set up that will last me similarly as long or more. First would be the rMBP base model. Large screen and nice specs but do I really want to be traveling with $2.2k worth of computer in my backpack? So what do you think about getting an 11" mac air with the i7 processor and 8gb memory and a thunderbolt display? That works out to roughly $2.5k with tax which, although being the more expensive of the set-ups, has all of the bells and whistles but has portability and would also mean I am carrying around a significantly less expensive computer during my commute. What do you think?? Thanks!

2. BigZ9 macrumors member

If you don't need the discrete GPU or the extra processing power, then I see no reason not to buy the air instead.

3. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I also think that an Air and a 27" Thunderbolt Display are the good choice in consideration that you are used to using a notebook on the go. However, I would suggest a 13.3" Air since a 11.6" Air has a too small display, especially true because you have been using a 17" MBP.

4. anc1en7z macrumors newbie

If you plan on keeping an air 5+ years I'd think again.

5. celitrd2 macrumors newbie

If you're going to keep it long, get the retina model. You'll enjoy the screen, power, and lightness (vs mbp)

6. numlock macrumors 68000

why is that?

7. randomhkkid macrumors member

Because in 5+ years quad core will have become standard so the rMBP will fare better than the LV dual core processor in the Air.

8. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    For the same price as an rMBP, get the 13" air, TB display, trackpad and keyboard. The Air will be great for the next 5 years. The only thing you'll most likely lack is storage space, but as BT implementation and ssd external drives come to market, that will be less of an issue.

Or get the 13" Air and an iPad (for some retina love). I love the look of the rMBP and the specs are really tempting, but I'm not a photographer or videographer and just don't need the power at this point (although that doesn't mean I won't still consider getting an rMBP!).