long term effects of dropping iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CitiXen, Feb 9, 2009.

1. CitiXen macrumors member

CitiXen

Hello guys, I have recently had my iPhone replaced from apple due to a defective ear speaker. Upon receiving my new phone I bought an Incase slider and crystal films. Lastnight I ended up droping my phone (in the case) from waist height on to the wood floor. The phone looks and seems fine but my question is, what are the longterm effects from dropping your iPhone? How tough are they built enternally? Will there likely be problems in the future with software or hardware as a result?

2. synagence macrumors 6502a

More or less impossible to tell ... potentially loosened some internal connections or component which may or may not fail within another lesser impact.

You'll most likely get away with it and not have a problem.

3. JackMaurer macrumors member

JackMaurer

one of my friends with an iphone dropped it a few times and then the "Vibrate ringer" made an terrible noise

4. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I don't think you should worry about it. The iPhone is a lot tougher than it looks. If it didn't look or act damaged after the fall, it's probably okay.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Three common drop related items I've noticed:

Sometimes it starts a small screen crack.

The touchscreen might later cease to work in one or more horizontal sections.

If the drop left any significant dents, Apple has been known to deny warranty replacements for any problem.

6. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Long terms effect may include:
    1. Fear of dropping your iPhone again
    2. Heart Attacks when it does drop again
    3. Heightened sense with regards to iPhone safety for others

Sorta serious on those fronts as I have dropped my numerous times. :) I dropped my iPhone so hard once it shattered the Gun Metal Incase case I had it in, then again, the case did it's job as my phone is fine. I do not believe there will be any long terms effects to your hardware at all. Kudos on the crystal film, I use that in conjunction with my case and both make me feel warm and cozy should I drop my iPhone. :)

7. jlwillia macrumors regular

Cancer. The long-term effects of dropping your iPhone have been known to cause cancer. Also, women who are pregnant or may become pregnant should not drop their iPhone. The use of a protective case does not protect against HIV or other sexually transmitted diseases....

Who the hell knows what the long-term effects of dropping the phone are? As with everything else in the world, just try to prevent it from happening!

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Hahahahahahaha! :D YES! AWESOME!

9. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Wow, just wow. That was HYSTERICAL. :)

10. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cancer.

11. jbode macrumors member

It's hard to say what will happen to your iphone since you dropped it.

Dropping it once without noticing anything wrong with it, you probably won't have any problems.

If you drop it several times, you most likely will end up having something happen to it.

12. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Everytime you drop your phone, someone starts an iphone nano thread :eek:

13. Resist macrumors 68030

The iPhone is no different internally than most electronic devices, so the risks are the same. Such devices are not made to with stand continued drops, but a beefy case like the OtterBox Defender could help protect it.

14. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

Sad but true.... And very funny. This thread has some great humor! :)

15. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

I think it's pretty safe to say that dropping your phone will not have any effect on the software.

Actually........drop it a few more times and tell us if you end up with copy/paste! :D