Long term fix for sticking discs?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AaronM33, Mar 6, 2014.

1. AaronM33 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I advanced-searched the Notebooks forums and only found a million results about how to eject a stuck disc. I have that part under control. One of the posts for that issue said the following:
    So, those who know what's inside my MacBook (black 2008 model), is there any way to permanently repair this issue so the discs don't get stuck in the first place? What is the letterbox casing? Can I just remove it (whatever it is)? For now, I just pry apart the opening a little every time I want to eject and that usually works. If not, I do the terminal drutil tray eject and try again.
    Thanks,

2. CSCONTO1 macrumors newbie

Hi and Thanks for posting,

I used to have problems like this on a iBook G4 12" and my current black MacBook also has some issues where the disc doesn't all the way or even far enough for me to grab it. I thought about trying to replace the superdrive, but thanks to a lack of funds, that probably won't happen. What I would try is opening the case and taking off the keyboard (Don't worry it is incredibly easy if you follow the guide on iFixit, or know how to take apart things in general) and just take out the optical drive and inspect it. If it is warped, try gently bending straight again, this can help a lot especially if the top of the drive is curved downwards. If you suspect it just may be reaching the end of it's life, it may be time for a replacement, but dvd drives are pretty cheap ($30) and like I said doing the repair isn't rocket science. Anyhow, hope I helped you out and let us know what happens!