Long-term int'l travel with at&t iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by designerd, Jan 5, 2013.

1. designerd macrumors newbie

Mar 6, 2009
    I've been looking through the forums for an answer to this question, but I haven't found anything yet. Sorry if this has already been dealt with.

I'm going to be travelling to Germany for 5-6 months starting in March. I have an iPhone 5 with at&t. I looked into adding the international voice, data and text plans, but just to keep up with my small amount of usage, I would end up paying over $400/mo, which I cannot afford.

At&t won't unlock the phone because it's still under contract, and as far as I know, there isn't an iPhone 5 jailbreak yet (but I don't even know if I would need that anyway).

Other than buying a cheap pre-paid phone in Germany and not using my iPhone at all, what other options do I have? I've used iPhones since the original, the thought of being in another country without the internet in my pocket 24/7 is so 2006.

What would you do?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    You can purchase an imei unlock for it on ebay for $2-3 and you're done.
    Your AT&T i5 will be factory unlocked and will accept and use any GSM sim in the world.