Long-term int'l travel with at&t iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by designerd, Jan 5, 2013.

1. designerd macrumors newbie

I've been looking through the forums for an answer to this question, but I haven't found anything yet. Sorry if this has already been dealt with.

I'm going to be travelling to Germany for 5-6 months starting in March. I have an iPhone 5 with at&t. I looked into adding the international voice, data and text plans, but just to keep up with my small amount of usage, I would end up paying over $400/mo, which I cannot afford.

At&t won't unlock the phone because it's still under contract, and as far as I know, there isn't an iPhone 5 jailbreak yet (but I don't even know if I would need that anyway).

Other than buying a cheap pre-paid phone in Germany and not using my iPhone at all, what other options do I have? I've used iPhones since the original, the thought of being in another country without the internet in my pocket 24/7 is so 2006.

What would you do?

Thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can purchase an imei unlock for it on ebay for $2-3 and you're done.
    Your AT&T i5 will be factory unlocked and will accept and use any GSM sim in the world.
    Welcome:)